ADVERTISEMENT

Attacks: 25,000 persons displaced, 55 houses destroyed in Plateau

News Express |9th Aug 2025 | 411
Attacks: 25,000 persons displaced, 55 houses destroyed in Plateau

Displaced members of the Plateau communities




By POLYCARP AUTA

The Mushere Youths Movement (MUYOM), a socio-cultural organisation, has said that over 25,000 persons were displaced in different communities in Mushere District of Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau by bandits.

The National Publicity Secretary of the organisation, Mr. Kutyil Gashion, disclosed this at a news briefing in Jos on Friday.

Gashion said that gunmen destroyed 55 houses, farmlands and other properties worth millions of naira in the affected communities.

Gashion said that scores of natives were also killed, adding that the figure rose after the recent attacks in Margif, Mbor, Nina, Nawala, Fogoldep and other communities of Mushere.

He said that the communities were attacked separately between May 25 and Aug. 7.

“No fewer than 37 people lost their lives, many were injured and properties worth millions of naira were destroyed during the attacks.

“Livestock were carted away and over 25,000 people are currently displaced and taking refuge in two major camps.

“We call for justice and adequate compensation for these victims and their families.

“The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction should extend its intervention to the families of the deceased, injured, displaced persons and other villagers that suffered grievous destruction of crops and farmlands,” he said.

Gashion, who particularly decried the massive destruction of crops on farmlands, described the attacks as “economic sabotage.”

He also frowned at the destruction of worship centres, schools, hospitals and other public facilities in the affected communities.

He feared that the attacks could lead to chronic food shortage in the state and called on the Federal Government to deploy more security personnel to Mushere and surrounding communities.

“Another dimension to these attacks on our people is the looming food insecurity.

“The attacks began just after our people cultivated their farms in anticipation of the harvest season.

“Due to the killings and mass displacement, these farmers have now been prevented from tending their crops.

“Meanwhile, cattle are left to graze freely, trampling and consuming the crops.

“It is clear that these attacks are not between farmers and herders.

“This situation signals an imminent hunger crisis not only in Mushere, but in the surrounding communities that depend on local food production.

“We call on the Federal Government to deploy additional security personnel to the affected communities and possibly establish security bases there,” he said.

Gashion, who thanked Gov. Caleb Mutfwang and President Bola Tinubu for the step so far taken to end insecurity in Plateau, however, called for more proactive measures to achieve result. (NAN)




Comments

Post Comment

Friday, August 29, 2025 8:31 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025