ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


Governor Umahi
Rising from an emergency zonal executive committee meeting in Enugu, the South East zone of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the raid on the Abuja residence of Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State by security agents.
The party also said that it was backing the South East Governors Forum on its resolutions during its meeting held in Enugu State last week.
In a statement on Wednesday, the PDP South East Zonal Publicity Secretary, Dr Pope Chijioke Ekwegh, said that the kidnap of the party’s National Youth Leader was condemnable.
Ekwegh said that the party viewed the raiding of Umahi’s Abuja residence as a direct attack on the people of the South East zone owing to the recent strong stance of the South East Governors Forum on issues affecting the people of the region.
The PDP zonal spokesperson said that the ban of Fulani herdsmen parading with Ak47 in the zones by the South East Governors Forum was the right decision.
Ekwegh stressed that the party was also backing the South East Governors Forum on its rejection of the Ruga settlement project.
The PDP spokesperson said: “Rising from emergency South East Executive Committee zonal meeting which was chaired by the zonal chairman of PDP, Chief Austin Umahi, we condemn in strong terms the raiding of Governor Dave Umahi’s Abuja residence by security agents.
“We view the raid as an attack on the Igbo people coming just few days after the South East governors forum met and took far reaching decisions on the state of things in Igbo land.
“We commend the South East Governors Forum for rejecting in its entirety the proposed Ruga settlement in the South East zone. We believe that the decision was in the best interest of our people.
“The ban of Fulani herdsmen from parading with Ak47 with their cows in the South East zone was commendable. We state that the resolutions of the governors from the South East zone as they concern our region and our country is understandable.
“We condemn the kidnap of the national youth leader of our party. Though he has been released but such ugly incident should not be encouraged to happen again. Our security agents should do more in securing our country.”