ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


Bandits have attacked Tozo village in Silame Local Government Area of Sokoto State, killing two residents and abducting two others.
The attack, which occurred around 8 pm on Tuesday, was reportedly carried out after residents rejected a N10 million levy imposed on the community by the bandits.
A resident, who spoke anonymously, said the bandits had earlier demanded that residents contribute and pay the money, but the community rejected the demand, opting instead to raise funds to arm themselves against possible attacks.
“They asked us to contribute and pay N10 million, and we told them no. We preferred to contribute the money and arm ourselves against their invasion,” the source said.
According to the source, the attackers stormed the village while residents were observing the Isha prayer at a mosque.
“They took us by surprise. We were in the mosque observing the Isha prayer when they attacked us. They started shooting sporadically.
“They killed two of our people and abducted another two,” he said.
A senior police officer, who confirmed the incident on condition of anonymity, said the command had received intelligence earlier in the day that bandits had been sighted around the community.
He said security personnel were immediately mobilised to the area and conducted a search before returning from the operation.
However, according to the officer, the bandits attacked shortly after the security personnel had left the community.
He said the attackers shot two residents, killing one instantly, while the second victim died on the way to the hospital.
“They also abducted two others. Our men are still combing the nearby forest to track them down because the attackers were not many,” the officer said.
The spokesman for the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, could not be reached for comment as of the time of filing this report. (Daily Trust)