ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


The destroyed Shrine in Rivers
Some youths in Onne, Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, have destroyed a traditional worship shrine run by a woman popularly know as ‘Eze Nwanyi’.
In a viral video, a pastor was seen leading the aggrieved youth who entered the woman’s compound, searching from room to room and gathering materials they claimed were used for idol worship.
According to them, the community abolished idol worship many years ago.
The Pastor who addressed a crowd said the group received reports that idol worship was taking place at the residence.
He said, “We have been informed that such a thing has been going on in this land for quite some time now, though it was only a rumour.
“So, we decided to come and see things for ourselves. Apostle Dandy and I came on Saturday. We saw things by ourselves, and the lady was trying to claim that what she had been doing here was worship, worship of God and all of that.
“So, having seen all of this, we told her that this is pure idol worship. And, of course, in 1973, through some of our fathers, God invaded this land, roasted all the idols. The record is all over, and He marked it significantly in such a way that nobody died for 35 years after that event.
“Ever since, Onne has transformed so much that you cannot see any public idol worship anywhere around the land, or shrine, or demonic altar. But we were shocked that this woman had something like this here, even though she was trying to hide it. But thank God that He has finally exposed her.
“The community condemns this completely. We are not happy with this, and this is causing us a lot of concern. After this, we have to go and cry to God, based on the covenant we had with Him in 1973 with all our leaders in Onne, that Onne would never embrace idol worship or public idol worship on this land.
“So, with this now, we have already broken the covenant, and it will cost us a lot to go and cry in our market square, with the whole community, to ask for mercy.
“Going forward, we do not want to see any of these things happening again. We are sending a strong message to any stranger, or any person from Onne, wherever you are coming from, that we do not want to see this kind of thing.
“We have been told that there are other strangers bringing strange gods into their houses. We are using this medium to communicate to all the landlords and land ladies around Onne that, please, before you give out a house to a tenant, try to know what the tenant is into.
“Look at what it is costing us now. This is what they can do in other lands, but not in our own case. Rather, God has abolished all of this.
“We bless God for today, and others will learn from it and refrain from this act. Of course, we will be going around the land of Onne. Anywhere we hear such things, we will enter that house and bring them out.”
A Port Harcourt-based rights activist, Prince Wiro, has condemned the destruction of the shrine in a private residence, calling for arrest and prosecution of the perpetrators.
Wiro, who is the National Coordinator of the Centre for Basic Rights Protection and Accountability Campaign, described the alleged invasion as a violation of the woman’s fundamental rights of worship, saying disagreements over religious practices should be addressed through lawful channels. (Daily Trust)