ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


Ondo State Commissioner of Police, Felix Ohagwu
The Ondo State Police Command has arrested a man, Samuel Akoade, for allegedly hacking his mother, Olufunke Akoade, to death in Ore, headquarters of Odigbo Local Government Area of the state.
The incident reportedly occurred on Sunday at about 5pm in the Powerline area of the community.
It was gathered that the suspect allegedly attacked his mother with a machete, inflicting deep injuries that resulted in her death.
Confirming the incident on Monday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, said the suspect was in police custody.
He said, “The incident occurred on Sunday, 16th August 2026, when the command received a report that the deceased was found lying in a pool of blood at her residence. Preliminary information revealed that the victim had sustained deep machete cuts and was already dead when she was discovered.
“Following the report, police operatives from Ore Division immediately mobilised to the scene, secured the area and commenced preliminary investigation. A machete suspected to have been used in the attack was recovered, while the scene was photographed and documented.
“The suspected assailant, initially identified simply as Samuel, was reported to have fled the scene before the arrival of the police. However, following sustained efforts by the operatives, Samuel Akoade was subsequently arrested and taken into police custody.”
Jimoh said the remains of the deceased had been deposited at a mortuary, while the suspect remained in custody.
He added that the case had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department in Akure for further investigation.
Jimoh said, “The Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, CP Felix Ohagwu, has directed that the investigation be conducted thoroughly and professionally to establish the circumstances surrounding the killing and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice.”
The PPRO reassured residents of the command’s commitment to protecting lives and property and urged members of the public to provide timely and useful information to the police, particularly on suspicious activities in their communities. (PUNCH)