

























Loading banners


NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

RAT
The Kano State Centre for Disease Control has confirmed one death and two additional infections from a Lassa fever outbreak, triggering an extensive contact-tracing and containment operation across five local government areas of the state.
Mohammed Adamu, director-general of the agency, disclosed during a late-night briefing on Monday, stating that swift response measures had helped to bring the situation under control.
According to him, the index case was a French national and staff member of the humanitarian organisation Médecins Sans Frontières, who developed symptoms about a week after arriving in Nigeria.
Adamu explained that the victim initially reported to a hospital with fever and was treated, but her condition worsened a few days later, with haemorrhagic symptoms. She subsequently died the same day she was admitted to another health facility.
Her remains were later deposited at the mortuary of Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital before health authorities were alerted to the suspected infectious disease.
“Samples taken from the deceased confirmed Lassa fever after laboratory investigations,” Adamu said.
The confirmation immediately activated the state’s emergency response system, with health officials launching contact tracing that led to the identification of two additional cases — a medical doctor from Minjibir and another female contact.
Both patients are currently in isolation and receiving treatment at designated facilities. While the female patient is being managed at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, the infected doctor is undergoing care at the Yargaya isolation centre.
Adamu revealed that 62 persons who had varying levels of contact with the confirmed cases were tracked across five local government areas. Of these, 25 were categorised as high-risk and subjected to laboratory testing.
“Out of the 25 samples taken, 22 returned negative, while three were positive. One of the positive cases is the deceased index patient, while the two others are presently in isolation,” he said.
He added that surveillance and public health education had been intensified in Minjibir and other affected areas to prevent further spread of the disease.
Lassa fever is an acute viral haemorrhagic illness endemic in parts of Nigeria and is primarily transmitted through contact with food or household items contaminated by infected rodents. Human-to-human transmission can also occur, particularly in healthcare settings where infection prevention and control measures are inadequate.
Public health experts say early detection, prompt isolation of cases and effective contact tracing remain critical in containing outbreaks.
The Kano health authorities assured residents that there was no cause for panic, noting that response teams had been deployed to monitor contacts, disinfect affected environments and step up community sensitisation on preventive measures.
The latest development underscores the persistent threat posed by Lassa fever in Nigeria and the importance of rapid diagnosis and coordinated public health action in curbing its spread. (BusinessDay)