

























Loading banners


NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

US President Donald Trump said on Sunday that member states of the new Board of Peace will announce pledges exceeding $5 billion for Gaza's reconstruction and thousands of personnel for a planned international stabilization force during a Thursday gathering in Washington.
"On February 19th, 2026, I will again be joined by Board of Peace members at the Donald J. Trump Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., where we will announce that member states have pledged more than $5 billion dollars toward the Gaza humanitarian and reconstruction efforts," Trump wrote on his social media platform Truth Social.
Member states have also "committed thousands of personnel to the International Stabilization Force and local police to maintain security and peace for Gazans," he added.
Trump said the Board of Peace "has unlimited potential," recalling that last month "two dozen distinguished founding members" joined him in Davos, Switzerland, to celebrate its formation and "present a bold vision for the civilians in Gaza, and then, ultimately, far beyond Gaza -- world peace."
"The Board of Peace will prove to be the most consequential international body in history, and it is my honor to serve as its chairman," he wrote.
Trump’s words came amid reports that Indonesia is planning to potential deploy up to 8,000 troops to Gaza.
The White House last month announced the formation of a "technocratic" National Committee for the Administration of Gaza to oversee the transition of power as part of Trump's 20-point plan for the war-battered enclave.
A ceasefire agreement ended Israel’s two-year war in Gaza that killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, and destroyed 90% of civilian infrastructure. The UN estimates reconstruction costs at approximately $70 billion.
At least 601 Palestinians have also been killed and over 1,600 others injured in Israeli attacks since the truce, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. (AA)