
The released Eruku worshippers
The Kwara State Government has yet to release the 38 abducted members of the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, Eruku, Kwara State—who regained their freedom last Sunday—to their families, findings by Saturday PUNCH have revealed.
It was gathered that the worshippers were being kept in an undisclosed hotel days after completing medical examinations paid for by the state government.
The freed worshippers were abducted by bandits on November 18 during a special thanksgiving service in Eruku, Ekiti Local Government Area of the state.
Three people were killed while another person sustained gunshot injuries during the attack.
The 38 abductees were released last Sunday and taken to Ilorin by government officials. Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq announced their release in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye.
Although the statement did not disclose where or how the victims were freed, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, dismissed speculation that ransom was paid, insisting the government merely negotiated with the bandits.
However, days after the announcement, the worshippers had still not been reunited with their families. Several relatives told our correspondent that they were becoming increasingly anxious over the delay.
A relative of one of the victims, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the community had expected the worshippers to return immediately after their release was announced.
He added that although the families were grateful the victims were out of danger, the prolonged wait had become emotionally draining.
“The government told us they are taking care of them. We celebrated when they called us on Sunday to say they had been released. Everyone was dancing and thanking God. But since that day, they have yet to arrive in Eruku.
“We miss them and hope to be reunited soon. At least we know they are out of the kidnappers’ den, but delayed expectations weigh heavily on the heart,” he said.
Another relative expressed similar concerns, noting that conflicting reports circulating within the community had compounded their worries.
“We are hearing different stories about their whereabouts. But at least we saw them in the news on Sunday with the government, and we have spoken with them on the phone. They told us they were safe. Seeing them again will gladden our hearts,” she said.
Asked whether the community contributed any money for the release of the worshippers, one relative insisted that no payment was made.
“We don’t know how they were freed or where. We only received calls from security officials on Sunday evening that our people had been released and were being taken to the Government House for medical attention,” he said.
A senior government source, who asked not to be named, confirmed to Saturday PUNCH that the victims were still undergoing medical and psychological evaluation in Ilorin.
The official said, “They went through trauma and a harrowing experience, especially the young ones and the elderly. The government is concerned about their welfare and wants to give them the best medical care before allowing them to return home.”
When asked whether ransom was paid to secure their release, the official replied in the negative.
“The government cannot pay money to bandits, as doing so will send the wrong signal that crime pays. It is unfortunate that we are in this situation.
“People should be commending the government for ensuring the abducted worshippers were freed unhurt. They will soon be reunited with their families.”
Other residents of Eruku told Saturday PUNCH that although they appreciated the government’s medical intervention, they were eager to welcome the worshippers back home for proper community healing.
Govt Silent
The Kwara State Government has yet to offer any explanation as to why the victims have not been reunited with their families.
When contacted, the Commissioner for Communication, Bolanle Olukoju, said she would revert with official details on the matter.
But several hours later, a follow-up inquiry by our correspondent went unanswered.
Security sources close to the rescue operation hinted that the victims may still be undergoing post-trauma evaluation and debriefing in a secure facility. (Saturday PUNCH)



























NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.