Catholic Diocese releases names of 265 abducted Niger school pupils, workers still in captivity

News Express |29th Nov 2025 | 152
Catholic Diocese releases names of 265 abducted Niger school pupils, workers still in captivity

Signpost of the St Marys Catholic Schools, Papiri, Niger State




The Catholic Diocese of Kontagora has released an updated list of pupils and staff still held by bandits after the attack on St. Mary’s Catholic Schools, Papiri, Niger State.

The diocese says the updated list, compiled on November 24, confirms that 265 people remain in captivity.

The breakdown included five teachers, seven non-academic staff, 14 secondary school students, and 239 nursery and primary pupils.

The victims were kidnapped on Friday, November 21, 2025, when armed bandits invaded the school community.

Earlier on Sunday, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) reported that 50 abducted persons escaped and reunited with their families.

CAN said a detailed headcount showed that 315 people were abducted, higher than earlier figures, because some individuals initially thought to have escaped were later confirmed missing.

This handout photo taken by Reverend Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) of Niger state chapter and Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese on November 21, 2025 and distributed on November 22, 2025 shows empty bunk beds and scattered belongings inside a student dormitory at St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Agwarra local government, Niger state.

The CAN Chairman, Bishop Bulus Yohanna, called for calm and encouraged continued prayers, noting that the Church was working closely with security agencies to secure the victims’ release.

He also dismissed claims that the school received prior warnings about the attack, describing such reports as false.

Meanwhile, President Bola Tinubu declared a nationwide security emergency and directed a full security cordon over forests in Kwara State following recent kidnappings and terrorist activities.

The president also ordered the Nigerian Air Force to intensify aerial surveillance in the most remote parts of the forests where the criminals are believed to be hiding. (Channels TV)




Comments

Post Comment

Saturday, November 29, 2025 10:34 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025