ADVERTISEMENT

Why FG dropped high-profile fraud cases — AGF

News Express |31st Aug 2025 | 188
Why FG dropped high-profile fraud cases — AGF

AGF Lateef Fagbemi, SAN




The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, has dismissed claims that politics played a role in the Federal Government’s decision to withdraw charges against some prominent Nigerians.

Speaking at a management retreat of the Ministry of Justice in Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State, Prince Fagbemi, SAN, said the decisions were guided strictly by the facts of each case, not political connections. He cited recent examples involving Honeywell Group Chairman, Dr Oba Otudeko, and former AMCON Managing Director, Ahmed Kuru.

Otudeko and three others had been facing a 13-count charge over a N12.3 billion First Bank loan. But, the AGF explained that since First Bank had fully recovered the funds and withdrawn its complaint, there was no basis for prosecution. “Once the complainant has no grievance, the law does not encourage needless trials”, he said.

In Kuru’s case, Prince Fagbemi noted that one of the disputed transactions involved an AMCON investment of about N20 million, which the EFCC had already recovered. Since the investment was not in Kuru’s personal name, the AGF argued that no crime could be linked to him directly.

He, however, stressed that two other pending cases, including one connected to Arik Air, would continue in court.

The AGF also clarified the decision to drop charges against Fidelity Bank’s Managing Director, Dr Nneka Onyeali-Ikpe, explaining that the allegations predated her leadership of the Bank, and she had no personal role in the matter.

Rejecting insinuations of political interference, the Justice Minister insisted that President Bola Tinubu did not dictate the outcome of the cases. “Prosecutions cannot be weaponised, or turned into political theatre. Every case must stand on its merit”, he said. He added that pursuing weak or baseless cases, wastes Government’s resources and undermines public trust in the justice system. The Minister stressed that the Ministry of Justice will remain focused on strengthening rule of law, ensuring fair trials, and protecting national interest.

The defence of the Government’s stance, comes amid a wider public debate on the handling of corruption cases in Nigeria. Critics often point to past controversies, such as dropped charges against politically exposed persons, as reasons for scepticism. Prince Fagbemi, however, urged Nigerians to judge each case individually, rather than assume bias. (THISDAY, excluding headline)




Comments

Post Comment

Sunday, August 31, 2025 1:53 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025