ADVERTISEMENT

Australia blames Iran for anti-Semitic attacks in Sydney and Melbourne

News Express |26th Aug 2025 | 216
Australia blames Iran for anti-Semitic attacks in Sydney and Melbourne

Anthony Albanese, Australian Prime Minister




Australia says it will expel Iran's ambassador after alleging the country's government directed anti-Semitic attacks in Sydney and Melbourne.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the attacks were "extraordinary and dangerous acts of aggression orchestrated by a foreign nation". Nobody was injured in the attacks, which happened last year.

Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (Asio) chief Mike Burgess said his agency had intelligence that Iran was "likely" behind more attacks on Jewish targets in Australia incidents.

Ambassador Ahmad Sadeghi and three other Iranian officials have been ordered to leave Australia within seven days. Iran has not yet commented on the accusations.

Burgess said: "Iran has sought to disguise its involvement, but Asio assesses it was behind the attacks on the Lewis Continental Kitchen in Sydney on 20 October last year, and the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne on 6 December."

Foreign Minister Penny Wong said it was the first time since World War Two that Australia had expelled an ambassador.

Wong said that Australia would continue to maintain some diplomatic lines with Tehran but had suspended operations at its embassy in Iran for the safety of staff.

She also urged Australians not to travel to Iran and called for any citizens in the country to leave now if it is safe to do so.

Albanese said his government would also designate Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organization. (BBC)




Comments

Post Comment

Saturday, August 30, 2025 10:45 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025