ADVERTISEMENT

Man sentenced to death for claiming to be Prophet Muhammed

News Express |2nd Feb 2014 | 4,715
Man sentenced to death for claiming to be Prophet Muhammed

A British man sentenced to death in Pakistan for allegedly claiming to be the Prophet Muhammed has appealed the sentence.

Muhammed Asghar, 69, who is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, was handed the sentence a week ago by a court in Rawalpindi after he was accused of claiming to be the Prophet Muhammed in unsent letters.

His lawyers filed an appeal against his conviction and death sentence for blasphemy at the High Court on Friday, according to The Independent.

“The retried shopkeeper from Edinburgh is said to be in very poor health and not receiving treatment for his severe mental illness. David Cameron was among senior figures to highlight the case this week. The Prime Minister said he was ‘deeply concerned’ over the Pakistani court’s failure to include medical evidence in the trial,” the paper reported.

The Independent also reported the case of a second British man facing blasphemy charges in Pakistan. “Masud Ahmad, 72, is currently on bail in Lahore after he was allegedly tricked into publicly reading from the Koran – an act which is forbidden for members of the minority Ahmadi sect to which he belongs. He now faces three years in jail,” the paper said, adding:

“Mr Ahmad’s son Abbas, 39, who lives in Glasgow along with a brother and two sisters, said their father had been targeted by powerful figures linked to a right-wing religious group and that he now faced losing the property where he practised as a homeopath.”

Under Pakistan law it is an offence for Ahmadis to call themselves Muslim. Each year dozens of members of the sect are charged with breaching religious laws whilst they and other minorities are also at risk of outbreaks of sectarian violence in the country if they are deemed to have committed blasphemy.

•Photo shows British PM David Cameron.

Comments

Post Comment

Sunday, August 31, 2025 4:27 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025