ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


Some of the impounded motorcycles
By DEBORAH AKPEDE
The Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit (Task force) has detained eight commercial motorcycle (Okada) riders for allegedly assaulting security operatives during enforcement operations at Apongbon, Marina.
The chairman of the task force, CSP Adetayo Akerele, confirmed this in a statement signed by the agency spokesperson, Mr Abdulraheem Gbadeyan, on Tuesday in Lagos.
Akerele said that the suspects, who were between the ages of 25 and 43, were apprehended while allegedly attacking security personnel with broken bottles, machetes, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons in an attempt to free impounded motorcycles.
He said that the suspects were apprehended following repeated complaints of attacks on security personnel and residents after enforcement operations against okada operators using restricted routes.
“The suspects were also accused of constituting a nuisance on highways and disrupting enforcement activities in the area.
“Some of the suspects admitted during interrogation that they had organised resistance against enforcement operations following the seizure of motorcycles operating on restricted routes, ” he said.
According to him, the suspects have been under surveillance following complaints from residents and senior citizens about attacks by some motorcycle operators.
Akerele said the task force had intensified efforts to rid Lagos highways of illegal motorcycle operations and other criminal activities.
He said some of the suspects admitted that their motorcycles had previously been impounded but that they continued operating on restricted routes because of the financial benefits.
The chairman warned that the suspects would be prosecuted in accordance with the law, stressing that the arrest would serve as a deterrent to others who might attempt to obstruct security operations.
The task force boss urged residents to report suspicious activities through the task force’s official channels to enable prompt intervention.
Akerele assured residents that the agency would not relent in its efforts to enforce restrictions on motorcycle operations and ensure safer roads and highways across the state. (NAN)