



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.







Section of the mosque collapse at Zaria Central Mosque
By MUSTAPHA YAURI
No fewer than three persons sustained injuries on Wednesday when a section of the Zaria Central Mosque under reconstruction collapsed during casting work in Zaria.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the decking of the second floor beside the southern minaret caved in while workers were carrying out casting on the structure.
Eyewitnesses said the injured persons, believed to be construction workers, were immediately evacuated to a hospital in Zaria for treatment.
No life was lost in the incident.
NAN further reports that the construction site was subsequently cordoned off, while labourers were seen clearing debris from the collapsed section.
Efforts to obtain comments from the site engineer did not yield results as sources at the site said he had accompanied the injured persons to the hospital.
However, the spokesman of the Zazzau Emirate Council, Malam Abdullahi Kwarbai who did not deny the incident declined to comment.
Kwarbai simply said the reconstruction project had earlier been handed over to a technical committee, which subsequently transferred the site to the construction company handling the work.
He added that a formal groundbreaking ceremony was conducted before commencement of the reconstruction project.
“As such the emirate council will not comment on the matter at the moment,” kwarbai said. (NAN)



















