



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Yahoo Boys being paraded by the Police
The Edo State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Kassim Afegbua, yesterday disclosed that the state government plans to impose the same level of sanctions on internet fraudsters, popularly known as “Yahoo boys,” as it does on kidnappers and cultists.
He stressed that the government was determined to clamp down on all forms of criminal activities threatening the peace and reputation of the state.
Afegbua disclosed this while speaking with journalists during the state government’s regular media briefing in Benin City. He said the incident that occurred at the University of Benin main gate was disheartening.
According to him, reports alleged that the late student was killed over unresolved sharing of money allegedly made from internet fraud.
“Please, we are calling on the Edo public that our zero tolerance for cultism is still very much in force, and no amount of persuasion will take our eyes off that particular decision and agenda.
“We are even going to add the issue of Yahoo Yahoo to that now because we are seeing that as cultism is being tackled head-on, some persons now hide under the umbrella of Yahoo Yahoo to wreak havoc. The incident at the University of Benin main gate is a ready example.
“Monday Okpebholo, the governor of Edo State, is clear-headed on where he is taking the state, and no amount of frustration from members of the public or renegades will distract us from that course.
“We are going to continue our commitment to ensuring that we nip all these crises in the bud.
“We may not have provided answers to all the nagging problems of cultism, but people will bear witness that Edo has remained peaceful to a large extent, except for pockets of kidnapping here and there,” Afegbua said.
Speaking on plans to ease transportation challenges in the state, the commissioner said the government had taken delivery of 50 CNG-powered 52-seater buses and was expecting another 50.
“We’re expecting another 50 buses. Our target is 100 buses of 52-seaters.
“Those buses will soon be released to members of the public to ease transportation concerns across the three senatorial districts.
“I don’t want to unveil the distribution pattern, but we are going to distribute them across the three senatorial districts to ease transportation and minimise the hardship people go through whenever they need to travel,” he said.
He also called on residents to desist from blocking waterways with refuse, noting that the Federal Government had earlier warned of possible flooding in some parts of the country. (The Sun)

























