



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Akwa Ibom State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Timfon John
Two women narrowly escaped jungle justice in Uyo after an irate mob stripped them naked, brutally assaulted them, and attempted to subject them to unlawful execution over allegations yet to be verified.
It was gathered that the incident occurred along Ring Road 3 in Uyo metropolis on Tuesday at around 9:00 am.
This was revealed in a statement by the Akwa Ibom State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Timfon John on Tuesday in Uyo.
John said the state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Ekem John, who witnessed the scene while heading to work alerted the police after noticing one of the women was bleeding profusely from severe injuries.
She stated that the operatives of the Command were mobilized to the scene, dispersed the crowd, and rescued the victims, adding that they were rushed to a medical facility where they are receiving treatment and responding positively.
According to her, one suspect, Emediong Robert, 22, of Ikot Ekwere in Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area, was arrested at the scene due to his role in inciting the mob and calling for the execution of the victims during the attack.
The statement partly reads, “The Akwa Ibom State Police Command has condemned in the strongest possible terms the barbaric, degrading, and unlawful mob attack carried out against two women in Uyo, describing the incident as a savage act of criminality, lawlessness, and a direct assault on human dignity and the rule of law.
“The ugly incident occurred on Tuesday, 19th May, 2026, at about 0945hrs along Ring Road 3, Uyo, where an irate mob stripped two women naked, brutally assaulted them, and attempted to subject them to unlawful execution over allegations yet to be verified by lawful authorities.
“The Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Ekem Emmanuel John, who witnessed the horrifying scene while on his way to office, immediately took courageous and patriotic steps to save the victims by alerting the Police after observing that one of the women had already sustained severe injuries and was bleeding profusely.
“Upon receipt of the distress call, operatives of the Command swiftly mobilized to the scene, dispersed the violent crowd, rescued the victims from imminent danger, and rushed them to a medical facility where they are currently receiving treatment and responding positively to medical care.
“Following immediate intelligence-driven action and preliminary investigation, one suspect identified as Emediong Robert, male, 22 years, of Ikot Ekwere, Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area, was arrested at the scene for actively inciting the mob and allegedly calling for the execution of the victims during the violent attack,” it said.
The PPRO added that “the Command warns that any person found participating in mob action, jungle justice, public assault, torture, or any form of extrajudicial violence will be decisively dealt with in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
John said the Commissioner of Police, CP Baba Azare, has ordered a manhunt for all other persons linked to the incident and vowed that perpetrators, sponsors, and accomplices would be identified, arrested, and prosecuted without delay.
“Akwa Ibom State will not be turned into a jungle where criminal mobs brutalize citizens at will,” CP Azare said. “No allegation against any individual justifies public humiliation, torture, assault, or attempted murder. Every suspect remains innocent until proven guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction.”
She said the Command commended Dr. John for his swift intervention, saying his action saved the victims’ lives.
(Vanguard)

























