



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Oyo Governor Seyi Makinde
Governor Seyi Makinde has assured residents of Oyo State that his administration would deploy every available resource to secure the safe rescue of teachers and students abducted by gunmen in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.
The governor gave the assurance on Sunday during a press briefing with security chiefs, amid growing tension over the abduction of pupils, students and school staff from communities in the Oriire axis.
Makinde disclosed that some members of the joint security operation involved in rescue efforts were wounded after suspected terrorists detonated improvised explosive devices (IEDs) planted around the Old Oyo National Park, where the victims were reportedly being held.
According to him, the injured operatives, including personnel of the Amotekun Corps and the Nigerian Army, are currently receiving medical treatment.
The governor described the situation as painful and challenging, promising that the state government would continue to intensify both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies to secure the victims’ release.
“First, let me appeal to the families involved that their government is working around the clock to ensure that we tackle the challenges and support our troops and service commanders,” Makinde said.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we got a video this morning showing that one of the teachers, believed to be the Mathematics teacher, was seriously injured by the terrorists.”
He added that there may not be immediate solutions due to the complexity of the operation, but vowed that the government would “push itself to the limits” to ensure the victims return safely.
The governor also confirmed that religious leaders, community elders and other stakeholders had joined intervention efforts, including the Nigerian Baptist Convention, since one of the affected schools belongs to the denomination.
“There have been interventions from leaders, elders, and religious leaders, especially the Baptist Convention because one of the affected schools is a Baptist school,” he stated.
Makinde appealed to residents of the affected communities to cooperate with security agencies and avoid actions capable of frustrating ongoing rescue operations.
The abduction occurred on Friday when armed men invaded schools in Yawota and Esiele communities in Oriire Local Government Area, abducting teachers and students in one of the most disturbing attacks recorded in the area.
The governor further disclosed that preliminary investigations had uncovered possible collaboration between the attackers and some residents within the affected communities.
According to security reports presented during the briefing, six suspects had already been arrested over alleged involvement in logistics and information sharing for the terrorists, while three other persons of interest were also being interrogated by security agencies.
“Some of them are believed to be informants or people handling logistics for the terrorists,” the governor said.
Makinde stressed that sustained government presence in vulnerable communities remained critical in the fight against insecurity, warning that terrorists could return once security operations are relaxed.
He also acknowledged concerns over the safety of schools in remote communities and assured residents that the government would continue reviewing and strengthening security architecture around educational institutions and other vulnerable locations.
The governor confirmed that he had also engaged neighbouring states, including Kwara State, on the need to strengthen cross-border security cooperation to prevent future attacks.
Meanwhile, the Oyo State Police Command and other security agencies have continued coordinated operations aimed at rescuing the abducted victims and apprehending those behind the attacks. (The Sun)

























