



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire Local Government Area, while one person was killed in the incident.
Makinde made the disclosure on Sunday while briefing journalists on the security situation in the state following the invasion of schools by suspected gunmen.
He said an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, adding that security agencies had already arrested six suspects within the community, along with three other persons of interest linked to the incident.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” Makinde said.
The governor explained that intelligence reports suggested the attackers may be part of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations in the North-West.
“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he stated.
Makinde also revealed that preliminary investigations indicated some of those arrested may have acted as informants to the attackers within the affected communities.
“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” he said.
He added that the state government would not rely solely on military operations, noting that discussions were ongoing with religious and community leaders, including the Baptist Convention, since one of the affected schools is church-owned.
“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” Makinde said.
The governor assured residents that efforts were ongoing to rescue the abducted teachers and determine the exact number of missing pupils, stressing that the state would not relent until the victims were safely returned.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” he added. (The Sun)

























