


Loading banners


NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

"Domenico is gone'' says mother of toddler who died after receiving damaged heart
Domenico is gone'' says mother of toddler who died after receiving damaged heart
A toddler in Italy who rec eived a damaged donor heart has died, the family's lawyer has said.
Two-year-old Domenico died shortly before 09:30 local time (08:30 GMT) on Saturday, Francesco Petruzzi told reporters. Monaldi Hospital, where he was being treated, said he had suffered a "sudden and irreversible worsening of his clinical condition".
The heart given to Domenico during a transplant in late December was reportedly transported to the hospital in direct contact with dry ice, causing severe tissue damage.
Prosecutors have opened an investigation into the incident and six medics have been placed under formal investigation in a case which has sparked outrage in Italy.
Petruzzi has said the organ arrived "burned by frostbite" after being transported over 800km (490 miles) from Bolzano to Naples in an unsuitable container alongside the ice, without a thermometer to alert the medical team to the low temperature.
The two-year-old had been on life support in Naples for almost two months. His mother Patrizia Mercolino had appealed to the Pope to help her son.
"It's over. Domenico is gone," Mercolino told reporters on Saturday.
She said a foundation would be established in his name.
The family's lawyer said the foundation would be for "all children who cannot have a transplant and to help all victims of malpractice and medical negligence".
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the "whole of Italy mourns the loss of little Domenico, a warrior who will never be forgotten".
She wrote on X: "On behalf of myself and the government, I offer my sincerest condolences and deepest sympathy to his mother Patrizia, his father Antonio and all his loved ones.
"I am certain that the competent authorities will shed full light on this terrible incident."
On Wednesday, a panel of paediatric specialists concluded Domenico's condition was "not compatible" with another transplant.
Doctors had warned a prolonged use of the life support system might have compromised his lungs, liver and kidneys.
Petruzzi said at the time the family wanted to see all the relevant medical records: "If the time for hope has ended, then the time for responsibility has begun."
Italy's Health Minister Orazio Schillaci said earlier this week that "we must absolutely clarify what happened".
"We owe it to the child, to the family, but also to all Italians."
"We have an excellent national health service, which has been able to handle and almost always resolve complex situations. So, I believe citizens should not lose faith." (BBC)