ADVERTISEMENT

Anambra Gun Battle: Four shot dead as police, gunmen exchange bullets

News Express |29th Aug 2025 | 268
Anambra Gun Battle: Four shot dead as police, gunmen exchange bullets




Four suspected members of secessionist group have been killed in a 15-hour gun duel with the Police in Awa in Orumba North Local Government Area of the Anambra State.

Command spokesperson, Tochukwu Ikenga in a statement on Friday said the a victim who had earlier been kidnapped and held hostage in the secessionist camp was rescued during the operation.

He said police operatives in collaboration with local vigilante had dislodged the hoodlums’ camp where various dangerous items were recovered.

He listed the recovered exhibits to include: 2 pump action guns, one fabricated AK-47 rifle, one K2 assault rifle, one locally made hunter gun, one radio transmission box, 3 locally made Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).

“Others are 2 empty gas cylinders, 2 wraps of cable wires, 3 bags of 50 kg rice, one driver’s license, One National Identity Card, One black Lexus RX 350 Jeep with Reg. No. ACA 340 MA, 3 (Three) Toyota Camry cars with Reg. Nos: ABC 268 FQ, EKY 151 CD and FGG 706 ME.

“Also recovered are: One black Toyota Camry car, 5 (Five) mobile phones (Infinix X6716B, Tecno Spark KL4 and 3 (Three) analogue phones), Sleeping materials, one desert boot, one big cooler, and a roll of tarpaulin.”

Ikenga added: “In a sustained effort to rid Anambra State of criminal elements, Police Operatives attached to the Rapid Response Squad Awkuzu in collaboration with the Anambra State Vigilante Group (AVG) Agunechemba, acting on credible intelligence, stormed a Secessionist/Terrorist camp at Awa, Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State in the early hours of 21st August 2025.

“During the well-coordinated operation that lasted for more than 15 hours, the operatives successfully dislodged the insurgents, rescued a victim who had earlier been kidnapped and held hostage in the camp.

“It was reported that despite the payment of a ransom of ?20m only by the victim’s family, the hoodlums aborted his release until he was eventually freed by the Joint Security Team.

“In the fierce gun battle that ensued, 4 (four) of the criminal elements were neutralized.

“The Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu assured Ndi Anambra that the Command remains resolute in its commitment to ensuring safety and security.

“He also assured that extensive operations are ongoing in the area to track down and arrest other fleeing suspects as well as destroy other criminal camps in the State.” (THE NATION)




Comments

Post Comment

Friday, August 29, 2025 1:49 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025