ADVERTISEMENT

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

News Express |29th Aug 2025 | 79
Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies




Emergency food supplies are running out in Nigeria, Kenya, Somalia and South Sudan, Save the Children warns.

Millions of children across four African countries could die of malnutrition in the next three months, Save the Children has warned, as emergency food supplies dwindle as a result of international aid cuts.

Save the Children said on Thursday that Nigeria, Kenya, Somalia and South Sudan were expected to run out of so-called “ready-to-use therapeutic food” (RUTF), a nutritional paste that has a long shelf life and does not need refrigeration.

In Nigeria alone, the lives of 3.5 million children under age five who are suffering from severe acute malnutrition will be under threat without access to treatment and nutrition support, the humanitarian group said.

“Imagine being a parent with a severely malnourished child,” Yvonne Arunga, Save the Children’s regional director for East and Southern Africa, said in a statement.

“Now imagine that the only thing that could help your child bounce back from the brink of death is therapeutic food and that food is out of stock when it was once available.”

The warning comes just months after the United Nations announced sweeping programme cuts in June amid what the UN’s humanitarian office described as “the deepest funding cuts ever to hit the international humanitarian sector”.

“We have been forced into a triage of human survival,” UN aid chief Tom Fletcher said at the time.

“The math is cruel, and the consequences are heartbreaking. Too many people will not get the support they need, but we will save as many lives as we can with the resources we are given.”

Key international donors, led notably by the United States, have drastically scaled back foreign aid funding, leading to widespread concern that critical aid – from food and healthcare to poverty reduction – will be affected in countries around the world.

In July, as part of US President Donald Trump’s push to scale back federal spending, Congress approved a package that slashed the country’s foreign aid expenditures by about $8bn.

Last month, Doctors Without Borders (known by its French acronym MSF) reported that at least 652 malnourished children had died at its facilities in northern Nigeria in the first half of 2025 due to a lack of timely care.

“We are currently witnessing massive budget cuts, particularly from the United States, the United Kingdom, and other European countries, which are having a real impact on the treatment of malnourished children,” said Ahmed Aldikhari, MSF’s country representative in Nigeria.

On Thursday, Save the Children said staff at one of its clinics in northwestern Kenya have been forced to try to get food from other facilities to help feed malnourished children.

“And if [the children] are not supported, I know very soon [we] will be losing them,” said Sister Winnie, who runs the facility in Turkana.

About 105,000 RUTF cartons are needed through the end of the year across Kenya, Save the Children said, but only about 79,000 have been secured so far, with stocks expected to run out in October.

The group said that overall, shortfalls in nutrition funding could cut off treatment to 15.6 million people in 18 countries around the world, including more than 2.3 million severely malnourished children this year.

The situation is expected to deteriorate further in 2026, it added.(Aljazeera)

•PHOTO:Rashida Musa, 29, tends to her sick child who was sent home from the hospital with malnutrition following US aid cuts, in Tudun Gambo, in Nigeria's Bauchi State, May 8, 2025

Comments

Post Comment

JUST IN: Fenerbahce sack Mourinho after Champions League exit

JUST IN: Fenerbahce sack Mourinho after Champions League exit

Anambra Gun Battle: Four shot dead as police, gunmen exchange bullets

Anambra Gun Battle: Four shot dead as police, gunmen exchange bullets

Rapper Falz announces engagement to fiancée

Rapper Falz announces engagement to fiancée

 No plans to dump NNPP for another party — Kwankwaso

No plans to dump NNPP for another party — Kwankwaso

Davido, Burna Boy, Shallipopi Lead AFRIMA 2025 Nominations as Lagos Prepares to Host Africa’s Biggest Music Celebration

Davido, Burna Boy, Shallipopi Lead AFRIMA 2025 Nominations as Lagos Prepares to Host Africa’s Biggest Music Celebration

End of an era: Billions of packages of ‘cheap’ goods shipped to the US are now subject to steep tariffs

End of an era: Billions of packages of ‘cheap’ goods shipped to the US are now subject to steep tariffs

‘TikTok for Artistes’ launches in Nigeria to support artiste growth and fan engagement

‘TikTok for Artistes’ launches in Nigeria to support artiste growth and fan engagement

Rivers: Bode George warns against extension of emergency rule beyond Sept 18

Rivers: Bode George warns against extension of emergency rule beyond Sept 18

NCAA launches Service Charter, commits to transparency, accountability

NCAA launches Service Charter, commits to transparency, accountability

Ex-VP hands over Yola property, former Adamawa PDP office to ADC

Ex-VP hands over Yola property, former Adamawa PDP office to ADC

Gulfstream Delivers First Longest Range Business Jet in the World

Gulfstream Delivers First Longest Range Business Jet in the World

Excess crude account shrinks to $535,823 as NEC orders accelerated reforms

Excess crude account shrinks to $535,823 as NEC orders accelerated reforms

Dangote ends West Africa’s fuel import dependence, emerges region’s key diesel, jet fuel supplier

Dangote ends West Africa’s fuel import dependence, emerges region’s key diesel, jet fuel supplier

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

FG targets 25% contribution from ICT sector to GDP by 2030

FG targets 25% contribution from ICT sector to GDP by 2030

Governor Adeleke flags off enrolment of inmates into Osun health insurance scheme

Governor Adeleke flags off enrolment of inmates into Osun health insurance scheme

Trent Alexander-Arnold, PSG, Barcelona and the winners & losers of the 2025-26 Champions League draw

Trent Alexander-Arnold, PSG, Barcelona and the winners & losers of the 2025-26 Champions League draw

May, Obioma, Olugbile emerge as finalists of the Nigeria Prize for Literature, 2025

May, Obioma, Olugbile emerge as finalists of the Nigeria Prize for Literature, 2025

Amusan withdraws from Diamond League final

Amusan withdraws from Diamond League final

Friday, August 29, 2025 11:34 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025