Tens of thousands of demonstrators flooded the Sydney Harbour Bridge on Sunday in a landmark protest against the war in Gaza, following a dramatic 11th-hour Supreme Court ruling that allowed the event to go ahead.
Braving heavy rain, families with young children, activists, and notable public figures, including WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, federal MP Ed Husic, and former New South Wales Premier Bob Carr, joined the “March for Humanity” in a rare authorised public assembly on the iconic bridge.
Chants of “Shame shame Israel, shame shame USA” and “Ceasefire now!” echoed across the steel arches as protesters waved placards demanding an end to the war and urging the Australian government to impose sanctions on Israel.
“I know it’s the other side of the world, but it affects us here massively as well,” said Alec Beville, who attended with his three-year-old son Frankie on his shoulders. “We could be helping a lot more with aid.”
Zara Williams, carrying her baby Avery in a sling, added: “We just can’t do nothing while there’s a forced starvation of an entire population.”
The protest was initiated by the Palestine Action Group in response to what organisers called an “atrocity” unfolding in Gaza. After NSW Police rejected the application citing safety and traffic concerns, the matter was taken to the Supreme Court, which ruled in favour of the organisers just 24 hours before the march.
Justice Belinda Rigg acknowledged the risks but said the reasons given by organisers, including the urgency of responding to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, were compelling. She ordered the bridge to be closed to vehicles and surrounding roads to be cleared, ensuring legal protection for participants under the Summary Offences Act.Despite the presence of riot police and warnings from NSW Police about crowd safety, the protest remained peaceful. Midway through the march, attendees were asked via text to halt progress and return toward the city centre in a controlled manner due to unspecified safety concerns.
Transport for NSW had earlier warned of major disruptions to road and public transport networks, advising motorists to avoid the CBD.
The NSW Jewish Board of Deputies expressed disappointment at the Supreme Court decision in a statement, calling it “deeply concerning.”
The protest comes amid growing international calls for Palestinian statehood, with countries like France, Canada, and the UK indicating conditional support ahead of the UN General Assembly in September.
However, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Australia would not rush into a recognition decision, insisting that “lasting security for Israel” must be ensured before such a step is taken.
Sunday’s march was the largest protest held on the Sydney Harbour Bridge since the 2023 World Pride demonstration, underscoring intensifying public pressure on the Australian government to take a stronger stance on the Gaza conflict.
(Arise News)
NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.