ADVERTISEMENT

Nigerian accused of killing, beheading man in Portugal after brief meeting

News Express |4th Aug 2025 | 352
Nigerian accused of killing, beheading man in Portugal after brief meeting




A Nigerian doctoral student has been charged and remanded in custody in Lisbon in connection with the killing and decapitation of a 34-year-old Guinean man, whose body was discovered in the early hours of July 31 behind the Lisbon Coliseum in the city’s Baixa district.

The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Jonathan Uno, was arrested after he voluntarily walked into São José Hospital on the afternoon of July 31 carrying a human head wrapped in foil inside a backpack. Hospital authorities notified the Public Security Police (PSP), who in turn handed the matter over to the Judicial Police (PJ).

In a statement, the PJ confirmed that the suspect was subjected to “a series of evidentiary procedures, the conclusions of which indicated that he was the perpetrator of the acts.”

A kitchen knife believed to be the murder weapon was recovered from the suspect’s residence, along with other objects described as “of evidentiary interest.”

Local media reports, citing police sources, said the head was clean and appeared to have been carefully preserved. Investigators believe it had been stored in the suspect’s refrigerator before being brought to the hospital.

The scene where the body was found reportedly contained minimal traces of blood, suggesting efforts were made to staunch the wound during the decapitation.

Authorities said the two men met for the first time on July 30, and that a disagreement may have preceded the incident. The killing is not believed to be connected to drug activity or organised crime. Investigators are treating the case as an isolated incident with a possible personal motive.

The suspect has been charged with aggravated murder, desecration of a corpse, and illegal possession of a weapon.

The Lisbon Metropolitan Command of the PSP told Portuguese news outlet ‘Observador’ that the suspect had stated the head “was related to this situation” upon arrival at the hospital.

The Judicial Police said further investigations are ongoing. (The Guardian)




Comments

Post Comment

Saturday, August 30, 2025 3:06 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025