ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


Unizik Council Members
By PAMELA EBOH, Awka
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka in Anambra State, has responded to the Ministry of Education?s recent letter annulling the appointment of Prof. Bernard Odoh as the Vice Chancellor of the university, insisting that out of the 18 applicants for the position, 15 attended the interview, and score sheets were duly documented.
It observed that the Council, within the scope of its lawful authority, has fulfilled its mandate with transparency and adherence to the University?s regulations.
The Ministry of Education had in a letter signed by the Permanent Secretary, annulled the appointment of Prof Bernard Odoh as the Vice Chancellor.
But, in a letter signed by the Registrar, Barr. (Mrs) R. I. Nwokike and addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, the university denied any official meeting between the Pro-Chancellor, Nnamdi Azikiwe University and the Minister of state for Education.
The Registrar said that instead, informal discussions took place between the outgoing minister of state Education and Council of Nnamdi Azikiwe University
She said: ?Contrary to any assumption of a formal engagement, the Pro-Chancellor did not have an official meeting with the Minister of State for Education. Instead, informal discussions took place between the outgoing Minister of State and the Council of Nnamdi Azikiwe University.
?In response to concerns regarding the absence of the Ministry?s representative, certain internal council members, and other stakeholders at the Vice-Chancellor appointment meeting on Tuesday, 29thOctober 2024, we wish to clarify that all necessary protocols were observed. Invitations were duly issued to all relevant parties, ensuring that everyone was informed and given the opportunity to attend.
?The meeting saw participation from representatives of the Federal Character Commission, external and internal Council members, and various other stakeholders, demonstrating a broad representation of interests. For further verification, attached are the attendance register, photographs documenting the proceedings, and copies of the official meeting notice sent to stakeholders.
?Additionally, we confirm that the quorum was duly constituted in compliance with the statutory requirements set forth in the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Act, Cap 139 (as amended), LFN 2004.
?Due process was meticulously observed throughout the selection and appointment processes for both the Vice-Chancellor and the Registrar. The suggestion of ?reconciling with aggrieved persons? is not relevant to this procedural integrity.
?Of the 18 applicants for the position, 15 attended the interview, and score sheets were duly documented. The Council, within the scope of its lawful authority, has fulfilled its mandate with transparency and adherence to the University?s regulations.
?We appreciate your attention to these clarifications and reaffirm our commitment to upholding the principles of due process and legal compliance.?
Prof Bernard Odoh was on Tuesday last week appointed 7thsubstantive Vice Chancellor by the governing council led by Amb Greg Mbadiwe.
The appointment has generated mixed feelings of jubilation and protest among members of the university community.
Members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) had protested the appointment.