ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


Family of two-year-old Eromonsele Omhonria
The family of a two-year-old Eromonsele Omhonria, who was shot in the eye by men of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Delta State, has cried out he has not received any treatment since then.
The elder brother of the victim, Ivan, was killed in the incident by the bullets of the NDLEA officers.
The NDLEA officers were said to be conducting a raid nearby on July 13, 2024and the children were struck by stray bullets.
Ivan was two and Eromonsele one at the time of the incident.
The parents of the children on Tuesday said they had been abandoned by the agency.
They spoke when the House of Representatives Committee on Public Petitions entertained the matter on Tuesday.
In attendance were the parents of the children, their lawyer as well as representatives of the NDLEA.
The father, Fidelis, said the surviving sibling of the unfortunate incident has been abandoned by the agency.
Addressing members of the House Committee, the lawyer of the family, Mathew Edaghese, said whenever the little boy cries blood comes out from his eye and mixes with the tears.
The family said following the incident, the hospital in Delta State referred them to an eye specialist hospital in Lagos, which further referred them to a hospital in the United States.
?In respect of the surviving child with this gunshot to the eye, effort has been made in his private capacity to get this child flown to where he was prescribed to at a hospital in the United States of America by the best medical facility on eye issues in Nigeria, Eye Foundation in Lagos.
?This recommendation was done within the first week of this incident. And they were aware of it. They did nothing about it. And the family had made several attempts to get visa.
?It was denied because it is not coming from the appropriate authorities that caused the problem. One year and two months after, the child is still in pain. As of last week, a piece of glass dropped from his eye. If he cries as we speak, blood will be mixing with the tears.
?Over one year after, a situation that was recommended for emergency attention, NDLEA went to sleep and wants him to deteriorate beyond redemption.
?We want to plead with this body to facilitate the trip of this innocent child whose destiny is under a serious attack for treatment where he has been recommended for treatment overseas,? Edaghese said.
The family In their petition demandedN2 billion compensation from the NDLEA.
Chairman of the Committee, Hon Mike Etaba, said the surviving child must get immediate treatment.
He however said the N2 billion demand was not feasible.
Etaba urged the NDLEA to accept the matter be stepped down and settled on terms acceptable to all parties.
The committee chairman expressed displeasure that Chairman of the NDLEA, Brig Gen Buba Marwa rtd did not show up for the hearing in person.
He Invited Marwa and the parents of the children to meet with the committee in his office on Thursday, 24thOctober at 10am to resolve the issue.
Director of Prosecution and Legal Services, NDLEA, Theresa Asuquo, who represented Marwa, agreed to the terms.
Asuquo has told the committee that the matter was before the court and should not be entertained.
However, she was warned against misleading the committee as the matter in court was that of the State vs the erring officers, which does not stop the probe by the House. (The Nation, excluding headline)