Posted by News Express | 11 June 2020 | 1,307 times
By PAMELA EBOH, Awka
Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, has announced a surge in the number of Coronavirus positive cases in the state
The governor, who made the anouncement during a special broadcast on COVID-19 in Awka on Wednesday, said that out of the of the 302 samples so far sent for analysis, 230 results have been released while 53 results returned positive.
He added that while 13 patients have been discharged from the Protective Care Center, 9 have passed away even as 31 cases remain active.
The governor explained that the medical status of 7 of the 9 patients who died of COVID-19 in the state was confirmed after a postmortem test on them.
He said: “In other words, they did not come to our Protective Care Center for professional management. This is why I must warn that delay is often dangerous in the management of COVID-19 cases.
“People who show symptoms of this deadly virus are advised to report their conditions early as it increases their chances of surviving this pandemic.
“I must also inform you that almost 90% of the people that have died from Covid-19 in our state were aged from 60 years and above.
“It is therefore important that people who fall into this age category who are said to have what the experts call co-mobility, should maintain a high level of vigilance to minimize chances of their exposure to the virus.”
Obiano emphasised that the pandemic does not select its victims based on age, noting that one of the victims of the virus in the state was only 24-year-old.
He enjoined people to maintain a high level of vigilance so as to survive the scourge, recalling his warning that as testing is ramped up, the number of COVID-19 cases would go up.
His words: “It should not surprise anyone therefore that the number of COVID-19 cases has gone up in our dear state with the increased number of testing. Interestingly, that is the pattern of the nationwide spread of the pandemic at this moment in time.
“However, as I have assured you in my previous addresses, we have made adequate arrangements to contain the virus in Anambra State. So, I would advise everyone to remain calm.
“There is no need to panic. If we continue to carry out all the safety measures outlined in the COVID-19 protocol by both the World Health Organization and the Nigerian Center for Disease Control, we shall survive this pandemic.
“The Anambra State COVID-19 and Other Dangerous Diseases Prevention and Eradication Law has come into effect. The Law makes it an offence for anyone to appear in public without wearing a face mask. It is important that we observe this law diligently because it will enhance our chances of surviving the onslaught of this pandemic.”
The governor reiterated that the determination of his government to bring to judgement people that flouts the law.
While describing COVID-19 pandemic as an enemy that seeks to surround humanity with its virulent touch, the governor said that only the grace of God and the people’s eternal vigilance will save the state from the onslaught of the pandemic.
He added: “I have no doubt that if we continue to maintain a high level of vigilance by complying with the standard Covid-19 protocol from the WHO and NCDC, we shall outlive this pandemic.
“As we intensify efforts in the on-going Active Case Search Campaign, the increase in positive cases will definitely test the resolve and capacity of our healthcare workers. These people are our first line of defence against this pandemic and we must always reserve a kind word for them.
“They are putting in a lot of work to ensure that this virus allows our people the chance to breathe. So far, our healthcare workers have justified our confidence in them with their impressive performance.”
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.