Brave teenager rescues 3 kids from burning house

Posted by Pamela Eboh, Awka | 4 September 2019 | 1,323 times

Gmail icon

•Men of Anambra State Fire Service at work

The brave act of a teenage girl in Anambra State has saved the lives of three children of the same parents.

It took the effort 17-year-old Miss Chinenye Igwedimma to prevent what would have been a bigger tragedy when property worth millions of Naira was on Monday razed down by fire at No 1 Ezingwu Street, Ebe Umuokpu, Awka in Awka South Local Government Area of the state.

The inferno, according to neighbours, is suspected to have emanated from electrical fault as the fire started shortly after power was restored in the area with the occupants away.

The four-bedroom apartment which was razed down to its foundation was the family house of Miss Blessing Uchendu; a member of staff of the Anambra Broadcasting Service (ABS) Awka.

News Express learnt that Chinenye Igwedimma, cousin to Blessing Uchendu, had come around to perform some chores. It was gathered that on her arrival to the house, she saw the roof on fire and immediately went on a rescue mission to save the children who were sleeping and immediately raised alarm for help.

While the fire raged, Miss Blessing Uchendu was at the ABS Corporate Headquarters, Awka, but soon got a call that the house was on fire.

On arrival to her home, she discovered that everything, including her academic certificates from primary school to the university had been destroyed in the inferno.

A combined team of the Anambra State Fire Service, and good-hearted residents of the area, helped put out the inferno which had already reduced the house to ashes.

The eldest daughter of the family, Mrs Uchenna Mmuo, said that she was busy at her shop when she was alerted and appealed to the government and well-meaning individuals to assist the family.

In their separate remarks, the Deputy President General of Umuokpu Town Union, Mr Chika Nwuzor, and the Principal, Fire Superintendent of the Anambra State Fire Service, Mr Emmanuel Nze, said it was difficult to ascertain the cause of the inferno as no adult was at home when it started.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...