Posted by News Express | 10 September 2014 | 3,641 times
Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP), Suleiman Abba, says about 20 officials of the Nigeria Police Force are still missing after the Gwoza training school attack by members of the Boko Haram sect.
After the attack on the Gwoza training camp of the Nigeria Police Mobile Force (PMF) in Borno State, the IGP had announced that 35 of its men had gone missing.
However, speaking with reporters yesterday in Abuja, Ag. IGP Abba said the force had been able to trace some of the officers who have reported either back to their bases or their families.
Also speaking on the recent changes he effected in the force, as part of reorganisation efforts since taking the reins of the force, the police boss said he was trying to do what had always been done – access performance and also take into cognisance vacancies available.
New officers were on Monday redeployed to 21 states as commissioners of police while 32 others were posted to different formations across the country yesterday.
After the attack on the training school on August 20, the police, on its Twitter handle, @PoliceNG, on August 25, said it had intensified search for other officials who were yet to be accounted for.
The tweet read: “@PoliceNG: UPDATE: Attack On Police Mobile Force Training Sch #Gwoza. 7 course men rescued & brought to safety. Search for remaining 28 being intensified”.
Boko Haram had launched an attack on the training facility and displaced over 100 policemen undergoing training with some of them fleeing into the hills and bushes around the area.
•Adapted from a Channels TV report. Photo shows Ag. IGP Suleiman Abba.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.