Boko Haram kills 100 in fresh Gwoza raid •Also invades Cameroon, killing 10 and abducting child

Posted by News Express | 7 August 2014 | 4,988 times

Gmail icon


More than a hundred people were killed yesterday by Boko Haram after seizing Gwoza town in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, in the early hours of Wednesday, according to residents.

“The soldiers guarding us just went away as the militants advanced against our town,” a resident of the town said.

He added that the Islamist militants killed residents freely, adding that the casualties included the elderly, women, and children. 

“If this continues, then, all of us will soon be without a place to call home,” said the resident.

A top security source, who did not want his name mentioned, confirmed the Gwoza incident to our correspondent. He said that the Boko Haram sect had diverted attention of the soldiers to Damboa.

Following an ambush last week Saturday, which resulted in the killing of 11 young officers of the Nigerian Army at Ngurosoye village of Bama Local Government Area of Borno Stae, soldiers were reported to have launched an attack on the village said to be infested by the Islamic militants.

The spokesman of the 7 Division, Nigerian Army, Maiduguri, Colonel Muhammadu Dole, did not respond to his calls, even as his other number seemed to be permanently on voice mail.

In a related development, officials in Cameroon said Boko Haram insurgents from Nigeria raided a remote northern border town yesterday, killing 10 people and kidnapping a child.

Police said the militants gunned down nine civilians and a soldier in the town of Zigague. State-run radio reported the kidnapped child is the daughter of a local chief. The reason for the raid is unclear.

The militants are suspected in last month’s kidnapping of a local religious leader in Cameroon and the deputy prime minister’s wife.

Boko Haram extremists have killed thousands trying to turn northern Nigeria into a strict Islamic state.

Their violence often spills over into neighbouring countries.

The group came under worldwide condemnation for kidnapping nearly 300 Nigerian schoolgirls in April. About 219 are still being held hostage.

•Based on reports from Nigerian Tribune and VOA. Photo courtesy of Vanguard shows ruins after a Boko Haram raid.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...