Posted by News Express | 22 December 2012 | 5,134 times
Some of the suspected kidnappers of Nollywood star Nkeiru Sylvanus are now in police custody and efforts are being intensified to track down those still on the run. This was disclosed to newsmen in Owerri, the Imo State capital, by the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adisa Bolanta.
“We have made some arrests in connection with the case and very soon they will all be apprehended,” Bolanta said.
Sylvanus, currently Special Assistant on Public Affairs to Governor Rochas Okorocha, was abducted alongside former Mr. Nigeria, Kenneth Okolie, last Sunday but freed at about 9 p.m. on Thursday.
Unlike in previous kidnap cases in Nigeria, Bolanta admitted that ransom was paid to secure their release but distanced the police from that. He berated Sylvanus’ family for paying N8 million to the kidnappers against repeated warnings by the police. He said that the payment was made without the knowledge of the police after the police had earlier recovered and returned N7 million paid by the family.
After “we returned the money to the family, they defied our warnings and continued negotiations with the kidnappers. They went behind us and paid N8 million to the kidnappers,” the commissioner lamented.
He, however, reassured residents of the state that the fleeing kidnappers would be brought to book, adding: “Let me assure the good people of Imo that we will not rest until all forms of criminality has been eradicated from this state.”
•Photo: Nkeiru Sylvanus.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.