Posted by News Express | 13 July 2014 | 3,994 times
Thousands of residents have fled their homes in Ninzo, Nandu, Gwantu and Gwandara communities in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State, North West Nigeria, following last month’s killing of about 200 people by suspected Fulani herdsmen.
The attack came barely two months after Deputy Inspector General of Police, Michael Zuokumor, mediated a peace deal between the warring Fulani herdsmen and Southern Kaduna natives, where both parties agreed to sheathe their swords and live together in peace.
According to reports, more than 26,000 residents of the affected villages are presently displaced and many of them have fled to neighbouring communities in Plateau, Nasarawa and the Federal Capital Territory.
Those who spoke to journalists in the areas yesterday said they are tired of the frequent attacks by suspected Fulani gunmen on their people and can no longer stay back for fear of further attacks since they do not trust security forces sent to protect them, insisting that they will only return once the area is safe.
Gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen on June 24 killed about 200 people and destroyed several houses in seven villages in Sanga.
Addressing the state deputy governor, Ambassador Nuhu Bajoga, when he visited some of the affected communities yesterday, the District Head of Nando, Elisha Umoru, and the paramount ruler of Numan Chiefdom, who spoke in Hausa, called on the Federal and State Governments to station a permanent security post in the area to prevent further attacks and give the people the confidence to come back to their communities.
Dumbfounded by the level of destruction of lives and property in the affected communities, Ambassador Bajoga could not hold back tears and wept. He expressed shock over deserted communities and villages he saw.
The deputy governor described the incident as ‘barbaric,’ assuring the people amidst tears that adequate security will be put in place to curtail future attacks.
“I want to call on all those that have run away from their homes for fear of further attacks to come back and continue with their lawful businesses. Government has promised to provide adequate security in the areas prone to attacks,” Bajoga said.
“For those that their houses have been destroyed and burnt, government is also working on modalities of resettlement so that they can pursue their means of livelihood,” the deputy governor added.
He called on the people not to take the law into their hands neither contemplate any revenge mission, adding that they should leave revenge to God.
“Government is also looking at the recommendation of the Peace and Reconciliation Committee set up, because there are suggestions and recommendations inside that would assist us to bring about lasting peace in the state. Soon government will come out with a white paper on the recommendations,” Bajoga promised.
The attack has thrown so many children out of school, and also disrupted farming activities in the area as many of the locals are predominantly farmers.
•Based on resorts from Channels TV and Sunday Trust. Photo shows a Southern Kaduna village destroyed by alleged Fulani herdsmen.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.