CIRCUMCISION WAHALA: England-based Nigerian nurse in trouble over death of month-old baby

Posted by News Express | 17 December 2012 | 4,849 times

Gmail icon

A Nigerian nurse based in England has been found guilty of the manslaughter of a four-week-old baby who bled to death after a botched home circumcision.

Goodluck Caubergs died the day after Grace Adeleye (pictured) carried out the procedure without anaesthetic, using only a pair of scissors, forceps and olive oil, a trial at Manchester Crown Court heard.

The 67-year-old is originally from Nigeria, as are the youngster’s parents, where the circumcision of newborns is a tradition for Christian families, the jury heard.

Adeleye, who is also a midwife, was paid £100 (about N25,000) for the operation as Goodluck’s parents were not aware the procedure was available on the NHS, reports Daily Mail.

The Royal Oldham Hospital was just a mile and a half from the family home in Chadderton, near Oldham, but by the time an ambulance was called the infant could not be saved, the court heard.

A jury of eight women and four men found Adeleye guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence by a majority verdict of 10 to 2 after deliberating for eight hours and 20 minutes.

Jane Wragg, specialist prosecutor in the CPS Special Crime Division, said: “Goodluck Caubergs was a healthy little boy whose tragic death was wholly unnecessary.

“This case was not about the rights or wrongs of circumcision, but the grossly negligent way in which the procedure was undertaken. Circumcision is a medical procedure which, like any other, carries very real risks to the patient that must be properly managed. This was not done in this case.

“Goodluck died because the standard of care taken by Grace Adeleye in carrying out the circumcision fell far below the standard that should be applied. She also failed to inform his parents of the risks and possible complications, which ultimately led to his tragic death.”

Sentencing was adjourned for the preparation of pre-sentence reports.

Adeleye, of Sarnia Court, Salford, Greater Manchester, was granted bail with conditions.

Goodluck was born on March 22, 2010, in Rochdale and died on April 17, the day after the circumcision, aged 27 days.

Adeleye was introduced to the family through a friend as she had performed many circumcisions over the years and offered her “experience and skill.”

Around 5pm on April 16, Goodluck’s father, Olajunti Fatunla, brought Adeleye by car to the family home — and the nurse sent him immediately to get some Calpol while she and the mother, Sylvia Attiko, prepared for the operation.

Once inside, Adeleye told the boy’s mother to fetch some olive oil and a bowl of warm water and the child was stripped to just his vest.

Adeleye then brought her “instruments” out of her handbag and dipped a pair of scissors into the water in a kidney dish and swiftly performed the circumcision.

The concerned parents, who had no medical training, called Adeleye around two and a half hours later to complain that Goodluck was still bleeding but she told them the bleeding was normal and “not a problem” and advised a change of nappy and bandage and to apply olive oil.

In fact Adeleye should have advised immediate medical attention.

A post-mortem examination found Goodluck died from blood loss after the op.

Mr. Darbishire said: “His death was wholly unnecessary. He bled to death over a period of many hours when medical assistance, which could have saved his life, was minutes away.”

Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...