Fidelity bank banner UBA banner
Suspended NHIS boss dares Governing Council, stays put in office

By Nkechi Onyedika-Ugoeze, Abuja on 20/10/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 393

•Embattled NHIS Executive Secretary, Yusuf Usman
•Embattled NHIS Executive Secretary, Yusuf Usman

The embattled Executive Secretary of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), Prof. Yusuf Usman, has allegedly vowed never to proceed on suspension as directed by the NHIS Governing Council, insisting that only the President has the power to suspend or remove him from office.

Yusuf, who was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2016, was first suspended in July last year over allegations of N919million fraud.

He, however, rejected the suspension order on him by the Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, also insisting then that only Buhari could suspend or remove him from office.

The NHIS governing council on Thursday, October 18, suspended him indefinitely over alleged petitions against him and executive infractions that could not be ignored.

When he was suspended last year, Yusuf, in his response to the minister, acknowledged receiving the suspension letter, but gave reasons why he might not comply with the order, saying: “By virtue of the NHIS Act, particularly Section 4 and 8 thereof, my appointment and removal from office, whether by way of suspension or otherwise, is at the instance of the President.

“Except removed from office by the President under circumstances specified in the NHIS Act, my appointment is for a period of five years, subject to further term of the same period at the discretion of the President.”

The President later recalled him in February this year.

A member of the board, who craved anonymity, told The Guardian yesterday that shortly after his suspension was announced, Yusuf walked into the boardroom and said he remained the executive secretary of the NHIS, adding that nobody, except the President, has the power to remove him from office.

He added that Yusuf remained in his office yesterday, despite his suspension.

The source, who further alleged that Yusuf, on Thursday, boasted that he would turn up at the boardroom, told The Guardian that over 20 policemen, both in plain cloth and uniform, were already within the NHIS premises, adding that as soon as Yusuf left the premises, he would not be allowed to come back.

Allegations against the NHIS boss included an attempt to illegally execute N30billion investments in Federal Government bonds, fraudulent inflation of the cost of biometric capturing machines, unlawful staff postings, insubordination, willful defiance of Council’s directive and refusal to reflect amendments made by the Council in this year’s budget.

Efforts to get Yusuf’s reaction proved abortive, as he did not respond to calls as well as text messages sent to his mobile line.

•Sourced from The Guardian report

 

Source News Express

Posted 20/10/2018 12:49:11 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Dangote Flour finally returns to profitability

Wife shoots husband over Google search

Saraki identifies ‘the best way’ to end economic...

Breaking News: Ex-Newswatch Chairman Ime Umanah dies in...

Cloudy weather, thunderstorms to persist today, says NiMET...

FG, oil firms develop 40-point agenda for oil...

US lawyers investigate MultiChoice

Police declares masked Lagos lady wanted, offers reward...

Police nabs village head, 4 others for murder...

Nigeria, U.S. strategise on Boko Haram

2019 Elections: Buhari asks APC to conduct credible...

Fayose worships with Muslims

 

Latest News Key leader of group that abducted Leah Sharibu killed: Military Cross River APC chairman, wife die in ghastly motor accident Vigilante Security Summit holds in Abuja Monday Kidnapped Zamfara twins regain freedom APC to roll out campaign plans in one week 2019 Polls: Atiku to launch ‘policy document’ on Monday 2019: Oshiomhole lied; South-East solidly behind Obi — Aide 2019: Presidential, NASS campaigns begin today: INEC Otedola endorses Sanwo-Olu for Lagos governor Troops foil another Boko Haram attack in Borno Nigeria records 800,000 preterm births annually Fayemi okays N30,000 minimum wage

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (421,603 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (390,256 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (323,198 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (271,733 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (244,321 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (227,562 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (209,192 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (190,752 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (176,025 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (168,659 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (165,202 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (152,077 views)

 

Zenith Zero Balance First Bank banner

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (73) Business & Economy (3,797) Business Verdict (54) Columnists (964) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (208) Entertainment (567) Features (669) Global Business Monitor (310) International (2,692) Interview (167) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (146) Maggie's Blog (38) News (40,620) Opinion (1,142) Pidgin (13) Politics (7,767) Religion (901) Sports (1,777) Stock Watch (35) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera