Posted by Juliana-Taiwo Obalonye, Abuja | 29 September 2018 | 2,150 times
The Presidency has disclosed that the meeting between it and the labour unions comprising executives of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC), United Labour Congress (ULC), NUPENG, PENGASSAN, has been scheduled to reconvene on Thursday, October 4, to continue talks on the new minimum wage which was initially stalled.
It said already invitation letters had been dispatched to all expected at the meeting.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a statement said, the meeting is government’s efforts to convince labour unions in the country to call off their strike following the earlier meeting at which the government accepted their demand to reconvene the tripartite meeting on the proposed new national minimum wage.
Shehu said, “By its tripartite nature, the committee is made up of persons from the public sector, (Federal and State Governments) and the private sector made up of the largest private employer group and the Nigeria Employers Consultative Association (NECA).
Other members include the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce Industry Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA) and Nigerian Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMES).
“At the moment, the Presidency understands that the combined leadership of the unions, having met and deliberated on the position of the government have now set in motion a process of consultations with their constituent members to determine their next line of action.
“The Presidency wishes to assure that the Federal Government is taking every step necessary to get the unions to call off the strike.”
•Sourced from a Daily Sun report
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.