Detention ordeal: Abducted Sun editor hospitalised, misses police appointment

Posted by News Express | 31 March 2014 | 3,384 times

Gmail icon

A senior Nigerian journalist released from detention Saturday night has fallen sick as a result of his ordeal and will be unable to report to the police this morning as directed while being granted bail.

Mr. Ebere Wabara, Associate Editor with The Sun, who was abducted from his Lagos home by men of the Abia State Police Command, last Friday, has been hospitalized and ordered by his doctors to stay away from work for five days.

“Wabara, who was eventually ordered to be released on bail by the Inspector-General of Police, Alhaji Muhammed Abubakar, by 10.15p.m on Saturday, was said to have taken ill immediately he landed in Lagos, yesterday,” a report in Daily Sun said this morning.

“The abducted editor, who also doubles as the Special Adviser on Media to former governor of Abia State, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, was abducted on Friday at his Surulere, Lagos residence by over 17 police personnel, who later took him to Umuahia by road,” the report further said, adding:

“He was with abductors for 36 hours. Wabara did not eat throughout Friday while he was with his abductors.

“In a letter to the Managing Director of The Sun Publishing Limited by the authorities of the hospital, where Wabara was hospitalised, entitled ‘Excuse Duty Report’, the hospital management informed Wabara’s employer of the admission of the Associate Editor.

“The letter reads: ‘This is to certify that Mr. Ebere Wabara of The Sun Publishing Ltd, No 2, Coscharis St, Apapa is on admission and shall be unable to attend his duties for five days from March 31, 2014.’

“Wabara, who only had his night-wears of short knickers, a T-shirt and a pair of slippers on, as at the time of his arrest, could not change his wears and neither did he have anything on him to attend to his health for the two days he spent with his abductors.

“A source, close to the family, told Daily Sun yesterday evening that Wabara flew to Lagos yesterday but took ill.

“He was taken to a private hospital in Surulere, Lagos, where doctors advised that he be admitted because of his serious illness.

“ ‘He could not eat throughout Friday and neither was he allowed to take his bath or attend to himself. The shock of his abduction, the stress of the journey took toll on his health,” the source said. Wabara who was released on bail on Saturday at 10.15pm is to keep an appointment with the police today at 10.00am in Umuahia, Abia State.”

•Photo shows Ebere Wabara (left) with Airtel Nigeria Communication& CSR Director Emeka Oparah at the Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, yesterday morning. Photo courtesy Emeka Oparah.

Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...