Posted by Hakeem Gbadamosi, Akure | 27 December 2017 | 2,552 times
The lingering kingship crisis in Akungba Akoko, in Akoko Southwest local government area of Ondo state, town, is set to snowballed into a major crisis, following the installation of a parallel monarch in the town.
To this end, the paramount ruler of the town; Alale of Akungba Oba Isaac Sunday Adeyeye, has petitioned the state government over the activities of the factional monarch, Isiaka Oseni, saying the installation of a parallel monarch in the town may truncate the peace being enjoyed by the people of the town.
In the petition addressed to the state governor, Security agencies, Chairman of the State Council of Obas and the Chairman of Akoko Southwest Local Government, Oba Adeyeye, alleged some people of behaving in a way likely to cause breach of peace in the town.
An Appeal Court sitting in Akure, the state capital has upheld the decision of Ikare-Akoko High Court that recognised Oseni as entitled to the throne of Alale of Akungba.
Oseni’s qualification as a prince of Ole-Ruling House who was chosen as Alale-elect had earlier been challenged in law court.
Justice Mohammed Danjuma, in his lead judgment held that “an eligible candidate for an election to a throne is an entitled and bonafide member. The entirety of the evidence led by the appellants as plaintiffs did not prove their claims; to the contrary, the counter claim was proved and rightly granted.”
However, in his petition to Governor Rotimi Akerodolu, Oba Adeyeye said he was presented with staff of office and instrument of appointment as Alale of Akungba-Akoko on February 23rd having defeated other contenders to the throne including the parallel monarch.
The petition read “a loser (Isiaka Oseni) in contest for the throne of Alale of Akungba had on 21st of December 2017 unlawfully proclaimed himself the Alale of Akungba in defiance of the traditions of Akungba and all known legal precepts of Nigeria.
According to Oba Adeyeye, the Ole Ruling House had earlier sued Oseni and the Mogun and Agure families at the High Court sitting in Ikare to contest their claim to the throne of Alale of Akungba on the ground that they are not member of the recognised Ruling House.
He said the appeal of the suit and the decision of the appellate court, was still pending at the Supreme Court, while the judgment of appeal court, never proclaim Oseni as Alale of Akungba.
He said: “I have been prevailing on the people of Akungba who are my supporters to ignore the unnecessary invitation to a duel. I could be limited in my persuasive efforts to restrain my people who are obviously losing patience and ready to engage in physical confrontation because there cannot be possibly two kings in Akungba.”
The monarch however appealed to the state government and security agencies to call the factional monarch and his supporters to order in order not to disrupt the peace of the land. (Nigerian Tribune)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.