Death toll in Maiduguri suicide bombing climbs to 43

Posted by News Express | 16 January 2014 | 2,497 times

Gmail icon


The scale of the havoc wreaked by Boko Haram terrorists via Tuesday’s bomb blast in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, became clearer yesterday when hospital sources disclosed that the death toll had reached 43.

A hospital staff at the State Specialist Hospital who did not want to be quoted as his management prohibits him from revealing such information, told journalists: “We received 43 corpses in our hospital which is the closest to the spot of the blast yesterday. But on the injured persons, about 40 of them were brought here and others taken to the Nursing Home.”

Another source, a female nurse, said the injured persons and corpses brought to the hospital were unprecedented as children, women and young men were seriously battered, with some burnt beyond recognition.

The source, a mortuary official, was quoted by LEADERSHIP as saying: “So far, the number has been reduced in the morgues because families who were able to identify the corpses of their relatives have been coming to take them for burial. Others that are burnt beyond recognition or badly battered by the bomb are still there in the mortuary.”

•Photo shows scene of a suicide bomb blast.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...