Hajj 2017: NAHCON reaffirms partnership with states on medical service

Posted by Garba Ahmed, Kaduna | 6 April 2017 | 2,093 times

Gmail icon


In an effort to effectively manage medical service delivery to Nigerian pilgrims for 2017 Hajj, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has reaffirmed its policy to partners with State Muslim Pilgrims’ Welfare Boards, Agencies and Commissions to save cost for the State and Federal Governments.

With the policy, which was initiated and partly implemented in the 2016 Hajj, NAHCON will provide 40 percent of the total required medical personnel while state will complement the remaining 60 percent.

A statement on Wednesday in Abuja, by Uba Mana, Head of Media, said the Commission will also provide 70 percent off all medical consumables while state will be left to provide the balance of 30 percent.

The statement quoted the Chairman/CEO of NAHCON, Barr. Abdullahi Mukhtar Muhammad, while briefing senior management staff of the Commission on the development on Tuesday, reiterating the resolve of his leadership to ensure that Nigerian pilgrims receive the maximum services due to them during the forthcoming Hajj through the initiatives being introduced in all the critical components of Hajj including accommodation, feeding, medical amongst others.

He said that the medical reform was commended last year by the Saudi authorities which expressed satisfaction with Nigeria reducing the number of clinics in the Holy land.

He gave an instance of Pakistan with over 260,000 pilgrims but with only one big clinic in Makkah and about 150 medical personnel, as compared to Nigeria which before the 2016 Hajj used to have many clinics and thousands of personnel to serve 75,000 pilgrims.

“These medical personnel are needed in our hospitals. The reform will drastically reduce the number of personnel who would be useful in our state and federal hospitals and medical centres,” he averred.

Muhammad urged the state boards to fully key into the system for a more coordinated, efficient and effective medical service delivery as personnel would be posted to states other than their origins for them to share ethno-cultural experiences, thus enhancing national integration and coexistence through Hajj. This is also done in the allocation of accommodation to pilgrims in Madinah.      


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...