Posted by News Express | 28 March 2017 | 1,566 times
President Muhammadu Buhari failed to make the trip to Sambisa forest as Nigerians were told he would.
The Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces was advertised as the special guest of honour who would believe in Sambisa yesterday to declare open this year’s Nigerian Army Small Arms Championship (NASAC 2017).
The Chief of Training and Operations, Army, Maj.-Gen. David Amadu, had during a press briefing on Friday in Maiduguri to kick-start the NASAC 2017 championship, said the championship would be formally declared open by Buhari. According to him, President Buhari would be accompanied by the Minister of Defence, Mannir Dan-Ali, and Service Chiefs – Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Olanisakin; Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai; Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Abubakar Sadique; and Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Obet Ebas.
However, rather than attend in person, President Buhari was represented by the Defence Minister, who declared open the five-day championship.
Located in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State, Sambisa forest was the stronghold of Boko Haram terrorists before it was recaptured last year by Nigerian troops.
Speaking on behalf of President Buhari, Defence Minister Dan-Ali said: “This championship is a showcase of the clear defeat and degradation of the Boko Haram terrorists group, with the destruction of Camp Zero here in hitherto Sambisa forest. It will also mark the commencement of our plan to move speedily to make Sambisa and the entire North-East safe again for law abiding citizens.
“I can categorically say that never again will Boko Haram terrorists occupy any of the Nigerian land. It is an affirmation to the resolve of this government to stamp out all activities and operations of Boko Haram insurgency in our territory.”
•With reports by Nigerian Pilot and Daily Trust.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.