Kafanchan violence unjustifiable and unacceptable: Kaduna Deputy Governor

Posted by News Express | 17 October 2016 | 2,756 times

Gmail icon


Kaduna State Deputy Governor, Bala Bantex, has condemned Saturday’s attack in the Kafanchan area of the state, describing the pattern of violent conduct as unacceptable.

Speaking at a press briefing, Sunday night in Kaduna, North West Nigeria, the Deputy Governor described the attack as “unjustifiable and unacceptable”.
He said the state government is making every effort to restore peace in the area. “We strongly appeal for support as security agencies work round the clock to make the affected area safe. Communities should also the refrained from taking laws into their hands,” he said.
Bantex called for the support of security agents and urged community leaders to spread the message of peace.
As reported last night by News Express and some other media, a 24-hour curfew has been imposed on Kafanchan after youths set up road blocks and burnt vehicles on Kafanchan – Kagoro Road in retaliation of an attack on Saturday in which 20 people died in Godogodo Chiefdom.
Saturday’s attack was believed to have been carried out by herdsmen who for two months had engaged the locals in series of attacks and counter-attacks.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that several people had been killed during the period and properties worth millions of naira destroyed on both sides.
Dr Bege Katuka, Interim Chairman of Jema’a Local Government told NAN in Kafanchan that the curfew would remain in force until normalcy returns to the area.
Katuka said the measure was to further check breaches of the law by youths who were setting up illegal road blocks.
“We have received reports that youths had barricaded Kafanchan – Kagoro Road along Garaje area and have burnt cars belonging to innocent persons,” he said.
He said the tension was fuelled by the attack on Saturday at Godogodo when suspected herdsmen attempted to lay siege on the village.
Katuka said the gunmen stormed the village and shot at innocent persons, but were repelled by the Joint Military Task Force deployed to the area.
“What is most paramount now is the security of lives and property of the people, the security will not relent in its effort to repel the attackers,” he said.
The council chairman, therefore, urged residents to remain calm and not to take the law into their hands.
He also advised them to remain indoors, explaining that the curfew was to allow the security agents carry out operations to restore peace.
•Photo shows Kaduna Deputy Governor Bala Bantex.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...