Breaking News: Newswatch Editors regroup, float new magazine

Posted by News Express, Lagos | 7 September 2012 | 6,663 times

Gmail icon


Former editors, reporters and managers of Newswatch have regrouped under a new platform even as the Newswatch Founding Directors and the core investor, Barrister Jimoh Ibrahim, continue their tussle over the ownership of the iconic magazine.

A statement just issued in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, by Tobs Agbaegbu, former Senior Associate Editor and Newswatch Bureau Chief in Abuja, disclosed that they have floated a new magazine to sell from next week Monday, September 10.

Said the statement: “A new magazine called Verbatim, which the publishers describe as ‘product of the ingenuity and enterprise of an assembly of many former editors, reporters and managers of Newswatch magazine’, will hit the newsstands nationwide on Monday, September 10.

“It will be published as an investigative news magazine, every fortnight, by Verbatim News Network Limited, with headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria’s Federal Capital.

Verbatim, according to Agbaegbu, “is meant to provide detailed, well investigated insight into contemporary national and global issues, as it affects Nigeria, Nigerians and their interests.

He promised that the magazine will live up to its name. “We shall leave up to our name. We shall report verbatim, and present news as it is. We shall also give our readers a high dose of exclusives, as will be obtained from our investigative prowess.. Collectively, we have it in our veins, our blood and bone marrow,” Agbaegbu said.

“Verbatim, according to a release issued by the management of the media organization has Tobs Agbaegbu, former Senior Associate Editor and Newswatch Bureau Chief in Abuja, as Editor-in-Chief.”

The statement named Anza Phillips, a former Assistant Editor who covered the Presidency for Newswatch, as Executive Editor, saying that “Agbaegbu and Phillips have already resigned from Newswatch.”

News Express recalls that Jimoh Ibrahim, who reportedly acquired 51 per cent of Newswatch last year, suspended the operations of the iconic magazine on August 7 and laid off the staff.

Newswatch Founding Directors led by Ray Ekpu have accused him of acting unilaterally, even as he has yet to pay the agreed 510 million naira for the 51 per cent stake in Newswatch.

*Photo: Newswatch ec-CEO Ray Ekpu, whose ‘boys’ have struck out on their own.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...