Posted by News Express | 15 July 2016 | 2,103 times
The Nigerian Government on Thursday said some of its citizens in South Sudan have refused to return back to Nigeria despite the deadly crisis in the country.
Senior Special Assistant to President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, in a statement issued in Abuja said that plans had been made to evacuate Nigerians from the war torn country.
However, most of the Nigerians are unwilling to leave due to their businesses in the warring country.
More than 270 people have been killed since fighting began last week in South Sudan.
Forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and his rival, Vice President Riek Machar fought street battles in the capital during a five-day period until a ceasefire was reached on Monday.
Dabiri-Erewa said, “Nigerians have been assured that the federal government has not neglected her citizens in Juba, South Sudan, as discussions about their safety is ongoing.”
She added that logistics was another issue delaying the evacuation of Nigerians in the restive country.
Dabiri-Erewa who spoke through her media aide, Abdul-Rahaman Balogun, dismissed the claim that 100 Nigerians living in juba were stranded.
She also assured there was no immediate threat to their security and safety.
“Many of them demanded they should be evacuated to the neighbouring countries like Kenya and, DRC or Central African Republic because of their investment in Juba.”
According to her, most of them have very good investments in Juba and they are afraid of losing them, so they don’t want to be far away from it even if they are evacuated.
Dabiri-Erewa however assured that there has been a regular contact with the Nigerian mission in the country and necessary steps are being taken to ensure safety of the people.
She explained that although relative calm had returned to the country, the federal government was still ready to evacuate those willing to come back home as soon as possible.
The Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Clement Aduku, had earlier said the ministry was monitoring the situation in Juba.
Aduku said the Nigerian mission in South Sudan was in contact with the ministry, while assuring that the welfare of Nigerian citizens in the country is guaranteed.
Fighting broke out in Juba on July 7, in the world’s newest country.
Report says that uneasy calm returned to South Sudan’s capital, Juba, on Tuesday after five days of fierce fighting between troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and First Vice-President Riek Machar.
The calm comes after the two leaders ordered a ceasefire and directed all commanders to lay down arms and report to their unit bases. (tv360)
•Photo shows Dabiri-Erewa
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.