Survivors of Kaduna shooting narrate ordeal

Posted by Garba Ahmed, Kaduna | 29 June 2016 | 2,338 times

Gmail icon


Some survivors of Kaduna shooting have narrated their ordeal while still on their hospital bed in Kaduna.

Gunmen had Monday evening, invaded Gurguzu village, close to Maguzawa, a suburb of Rigasa in Igabi Local Government Area of the state, killing four persons and leaving about six others injured.

Iliyasu Mato, 35, one of the survivors who escaped with gunshot wounds in an interview in the Accident and Emergency Unit of Barau Dikko Specialist Hospital, said the assailants shot and killed the owner of a farmland and a staff of NNPC, at close range on his head and four other labourers working on the farm.

“They did not go with anything. They just killed him and the other four people working on his farm and went away. It was on their way that the four gunmen riding on one motorcycle accosted us and opened fire on the two of us ridding on a motorcycle.

“The bullet hit me on my thigh, while my friend was hit on the left hand. Someone called the police who brought us to Barau Dikko Hospital. Since then, nobody has come to help us with at least our hospital bill. We have spent all we have on medicine,” he stated.

The second victim Mohammed Sanusi, 50, was conveyed in the same police vehicle with the dead bodies to the hospital.

“In fact, two hospitals, 44 Army Reference Hospital and Yusuf Dantsoho Memorial Hospital had earlier rejected us, before we were finally brought to Dantsoho Hospital late in the evening.

“The gunmen shot us at close range, completely shattered the bone on my left arm, which was left dangling with flesh. Up till now, no body from government even bothered to come to see us,” he narrated.

Over 500 members of Kate community in Rigasa ward of Igabi have fled, after the attack.

“Not less than 500 people from Gurguzu village are presently displaced and taking refuge at Karshen Kwalta primary school in Rigasa,” Sa’ad Abubakar, an eyewitness told our reporter. Meanwhile, Kaduna State government has asked the citizens to remain calm and go about their lawful business, as it has launched a manhunt for the killers.

While confirming the incident, Ibrahim Adamu, the Commissioner of Police in the state, said all security agencies have already left to the scene to assess the situation on the ground.

“I assure you all that the culprits will never go free. We shall find them and bring them to book. We shall also ensure the prevention of such crisis happening in the state so long as we are on ground,” the CP said.

In an earlier briefing after the state Security Council meeting, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Tijjani Abdullahi said: “Around 17:50, that is 5:50pm on Monday; gunmen invaded the village on bike and killed a farmer and three other co-farmers.

“They injured four others and similarly many of the victims, the injured ones were rushed to the hospital.

“Immediately, we deployed our men to the area, calm has returned and our men are patrolling the whole place. Contrary to what is being circulated on the social media, this is what actually happened.”

Speaking on the situation on ground, Chairman Interim Management Committee of Igabi Local Government, Jabir Khamis said about 500 people from the village are displaced and government is taking care of them.

•Photo by Garba Ahmed shows one of the victims of the attack in his hospital bed.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...