Posted by News Express | 26 June 2016 | 1,712 times
Two Australians, who had been abducted by a local criminal gang in Nigeria’s oil-rich delta region last Wednesday, were recovered Sunday, a government official announced.
Christian Ita, spokesman for the governor of Cross River State, told Anadolu Agency Sunday that the Australians were among five people kidnapped, all of whom were safely recovered.
Ita said a “number of arrests” had also been made. He denied ransom had been paid to criminals for setting free the expatriates and their Nigerian colleagues.
All the kidnapped men worked for an Australian mining and engineering firm, Macmahon, which is a contractor for the cement company, LafargeHolcim.
The driver of the vehicle carrying the employees had been shot dead during the abduction last week.
Abduction is a major security issue across much of the southern region, with kidnappers often demanding ransom in exchange for freedom of their victims.
The country’s parliament is currently working on a bill that would see abductors jailed for life on conviction. (Anadolu Agency)
•Photo shows Cross River Governor Ben Ayade.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.