Village Head, son, police inspector electrocuted in Minna

Posted by News Express | 22 February 2016 | 2,678 times

Gmail icon

A police officer, Abu Gani, the Village Head of Jatau, Saidu Shehu, his son, Gombo Shehu and Gombo’s friend, have been electrocuted in Jatau area of Maitumbi in Minna, the capital of Niger State.

The incident occurred after a spark from high tension cables that passed through Mr Shehu’s house triggered a fire that burnt down two houses. It happened around 4:48pm on Saturday.

According to an eyewitness, the Police Inspector, who was on save mission, received a call about the inferno, then went straight to the scene and was eventually caught up in the fire.

He was said to be the Inspector covering crime attached to Maitumbi police station.

According to the source, the village Head, Mai-Angwa, one of his sons, Gambo Shehu were the first victims.

Later, a friend to his son, who attempted to save his friend before the arrival of the police officer, also died in the process.

The eyewitness also revealed that the problem with the supply of electricity to Jatai village started on Saturday, when the transformer serving the area suddenly developed fault and started supplying electricity irregularly.

Among early callers to the village were the Commissioner of Health of Niger State, Dr Mustapha Jibril, Special Adviser to the Governor on Special Duties, Mallam Sardaunan, Member the State House of Assembly, Honourable Malik Bosso and the Chairman of Bosso Local Government, Mr Isah Wokili.

The Commissioner of Health condoled with families of the victims, saying that the Governor received the news with shock.

He promised the people of Maitumbi that the government would take care of the medical bills of the injured victims. (Channels TV)

•Photo shows electricity grid.

Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...