Posted by News Express | 18 October 2015 | 2,232 times
The Nigerian Government has frowned at the spate of electrical accidents and electrocutions which it puts at the door step of the Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOS).
Speaking to Channels Television on Saturday on the outcome of the Federal Government’s investigative panel on the death of Miss Juliana Oluchi Anekwe, a 300 hundred level student of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), the Chief Electrical Inspector of the Federation, Mr Peter Ewesor, said the use of low quality undersized aluminium conductor was a major cause of the incident.
Giving details of what could have caused the incident that led to Miss Anekwe’s death, he said that the 11KV feeder line which passed through the university was in a state of almost total disrepair, with so many joints.
“After the investigation of the student’s death, we have issued instructions to the respective DISCOS that were concerned, that they should ensure they repair and revamp this particular network and that they should use the experience as a guide to all other 11KV network or 33KV network to ensure that what happened here is prevented elsewhere,” Mr Ewesor stressed.
He further stated that recommendations had been made to all DISCOS on equipment specifications and that sanctions would follow in the case of non-compliance.
•Photo shows electrocuted UNILAG student, Oluchi Anekwe.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.