Posted by News Express | 6 July 2022 | 984 times
Secretary-General of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Mohammed Barkindo is dead.
The Group Managing Director (GMD) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mele Kyari, announced his demise in a tweet in the early hours of Wednesday.
Here are eight things to know about Mohammed Barkindo
1. Mohammed Sanusi Barkindo was born on April 20, 1959.
2. Barkindo completed his bachelor’s degree in political science from Ahmadu Bello University (Zaria, Nigeria) in 1981.
3. He bagged Master of Business Administration degree from Washington University in 1991, Prior to his MBA, in 1988 and earned a postgraduate diploma in Petroleum Economics from Oxford University.
4. He was awarded an honorary doctorate from Federal University of Technology Yola.
5. He was Secretary General of OPEC, from August 1, 2016 until his death.
6. He served as Acting Secretary General in 2006, represented Nigeria on OPEC’s Economic Commission Board from 1993 to 2008, led the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation from 2009 to 2010, and headed Nigeria’s technical delegation to UN climate negotiations beginning in 1991.
7. Barkindo visited Buhari at the Presidential Villa on Tuesday, July 5, 2022.
8. He died around 11 pm on Tuesday, July 5, 2022.
•Sourced from The Nation.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.