Posted by News Express | 27 September 2015 | 7,637 times
Identities of the Nigerians who lost their lives at this year’s hajj have continued to trickle in as two states Taraba and Gombe States have revealed that some pilgrims are missing from their respective states.
The Taraba State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, yesterday, confirmed the death of the state’s Amirul Hajj for the 2015 pilgrimage, Alhaji Abbas Ibrahim, the First Class ruler of Zing.
The Chairman of the board, Alhaji Hamman-Adama Tukur, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in a telephone interview from Saudi Arabia.
Tukur explained that the Emir died on Thursday during a stampede that claimed the lives of more than 700 pilgrims.
The victims, among others, were at the site of the Jamrat, where they were to fulfill one of the Hajj rites of a symbolic stoning of the devil.
Tukur said that the body of the late traditional ruler had been recovered and buried in Makkah on Friday.
He disclosed that many indigenes of Taraba State were still missing, while a few others, whose names he did not mention, but who sustained injuries, were receiving treatment in some Saudi hospitals.
Chief Press Secretary to Taraba Governor, Alhaji Hassan Mijinyawa also confirmed the death of the monarch.
He said that consultation was still ongoing between the state government and the Zing Traditional Council, before a formal pronouncement would be made.
Meanwhile, the Zing Traditional Council has also confirmed that the Emir died along with two of his four wives during the stampede.
The Tafidan Zing, Gurama Bawa, who confirmed the death of the wives in an interview with NAN, said the late emir was aged 62 and had been on the throne for 19 years.
He left behind, two wives and 13 children.
The Executive Secretary, Gombe State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Usman Gurama told newsmen in Mina, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday that Five pilgrims from Gombe State have been declared missing in Saudi Arabia; because the pilgrims could not be located since Thursday.
He said that members of the medical team had been checking hospitals and mortuaries with a view to locating them or their remains.
He however said that for now, it had not been confirmed as to whether they were among those who died as a result of Thursday’s incident at the Jamrat (stone throwing venue) where over 700 pilgrims died.
Gurama confirmed that seven pilgrims from the state were injured at the scene of the incident and were responding to treatment.
Meanwhile, Gov. Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe on Saturday gave the state pilgrims 585,300 (about N32.7 million) as Sallah gift.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that each of pilgrims had 300 Saudi Riyals (N16, 800)
Addressing the pilgrims shortly after presenting the gift, Dankwambo urged them to pray for President Muhammad Buhari to enable him deliver the dividends of democracy.
He commended the State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board and the Amirul Hajj team for doing a good job.
In his remarks, the State Amirul Hajj, Alhaji Abdullahi Mai-Kano, thanked the governor for his commitment towards ensuring the success of the exercise.
He also commended the pilgrims for their cooperation, adding that investigations on the missing pilgrims were in progress. (NAN)
•Photo shows Ka’aba, Mecca, Saudi Arabia
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.