Posted by News Express | 30 August 2015 | 4,761 times
The Department of State Services (DSS) this afternoon announced the rounding up of notable commanders and frontline members of Boko Haram terrorist group from different parts of the country. It said that the spread is informed by the Boko Haram’s “new pattern of movement and spread is necessitated by the pressure being put on them in their core areas of strength in the North East.”
“Consequently, a number of them have been arrested in Lagos, Kano, Plateau, Enugu and Gombe states between 8th July and 25th August, 2015. Of particular note was the arrest on 8th July, 2015 in Gombe State of those responsible for the coordination and execution of the suicide attacks in Potiskum, Kano, Zaria and Jos,” DSS Spokesman Tony Opuiyo said in a statement issued in Abuja. He gave the following details about the Boko Haram chiefs in the net:
Usman SHUAIBU (a. k. a. Money):
3. SHUAIBU revealed that he coordinated the attacks under reference with the sum of five hundred thousand Naira (N500,000.00), which was provided by his Amir, one Isa ALI. He claimed that the said Isa ALI has links to the leader of the Boko Haram sect, Abubakar SHEKAU, from where he collects monies to fund operations undertaken by their Markaz. Also, he revealed that he has participated in several Boko Haram attacks, including the attacks at Gwoza Divisional Police Station in 2014.
4. SHUAIBU admitted being the leader of the team of nine (9) sect members that was dispatched from Sambisa Forest to carry out the attacks. He disclosed that four (4) out of the nine (9) of them were used as suicide bombers in executing all the (Suicide) attacks.
Ahmed MOHAMMED (aka ABUBAKAR):
5. Suspect, an IED expert, confessed to the preparation of the IEDs used for the mentioned attacks. He also averred that he (ABUBAKAR) was the one who strapped the suicide bombers, notably SULE and his wives, with IED vests, which they used in the attacks in Jos.
Adamu ABDULLAHI (aka Babpa)
6. Suspect confessed that Usman SHUAIBU motivated him to work closely with Ahmed MOHAMMED (aka ABUBAKAR) in the preparation of the IEDs used in the attacks under reference.
7. Suspect confessed that he was the one who carried out reconnaissance on the targets in Jos ahead of the attacks.
Muttaqa YUSUF (aka Mohammed SANI/Mudtaka):
8. Suspect disclosed that one ALIYU, believed to be Aliyu GOMBE, in Sambisa forest, was the one that ordered the serial attacks which the syndicate carried out. He further confessed that he assisted Usman SHUAIBU in planning and executing the said attacks.
9. Other arrests include:
i. Bakura MODU:- He was arrested on 20th July, 2015, at Kara, Isheri Berger, Ikeja LGA, Lagos State;
ii. Mustapha Alli JAMNERI:- He was arrested on 24th July, 2015, at Gowon Estate, Egbeda, Alimosho LGA, Lagos State;
iii. Abuyi SHERRIFF:- suspect was arrested on 7th August, 2015, at Ebute-Metta, Lagos Mainland LGA, Lagos State;
iv. Babagana ALI and Babagana KOLOYE:- were arrested same day (7th August, 2015), at Eric Moore, Bode Thomas Street, Surulere LGA, Lagos State;
v. Abba Modu SAGMA: He was arrested on 9th August, 2015, at Ijora Badiya, Apapa LGA, Lagos State;
vi. Grema ABUBAKAR and Tijani BAGUDU: were arrested on 10th August, 2015, at Amukoko, Ijora Badiya, Apapa LGA, Lagos State;
vii. Baba Alhaji and Abass IBRAHIM:- were arrested earlier on the same day (10th August, 2015), at Alaba International Market, Alaba, Ojo LGA, Lagos State;
viii. IBRAHIM AUDU: Suspect was arrested on 19th August 2015, at New Artisan Market, Enugu, Enugu State;
ix. Ibrahim HARUNA: The 30-year old suspect from Kanawa village, Sumaila LGA, Kano State was arrested on 21st August, 2015, at Kwomi village, Kwami Local Government Area (LGA), Gombe State;
x. Mal Ali MOHAMMODU: The 33 year old suspect was arrested on 22nd August 2015, at Ibrahim Taiwo Road, Fagga LGA in Kano State;
xi. Adam Wakil Abdul JILBE: was arrested on 23rd August 2015, at Obanikoro Area, Mushin LGA, Lagos State; and
xii. Mohammed USMAN: was arrested on 25th August, 2015, at Atuashe Estate, Gbagada, Kosofe LGA, Lagos State.
Opuiyo said that “Nigerians and indeed the general public have to note that the arrest of Usman SHUAIBU aka Money and the core members of his cell, stemmed the spate of bombings by the extremist sect. It would be recalled that MONEY and his group were arrested on their way to Bauchi State where they had planned to execute another heart-rending bomb attack and this was frustrated by the arrest. Furthermore, the sudden influx of Boko Haram members into Lagos State points to the determination of the sect to extend its nefarious terrorist activities to the State and in fact, other parts of the country. The arrest of these confessed terrorist elements has however helped in no small measure to avert devastating attacks in the area. However, the Service is making efforts to conclude its investigations and commence prosecution of the suspects.
“Drawing from the above, the DSS reiterates its avowed determination to work with other stakeholders in the fight against terror and other forms of criminality in our country. Citizens and residents are therefore called upon to rise to the occasion by volunteering useful information to the Service and relevant security agencies.”
•Photo shows DSS DG Lawal Daura.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.