Posted by News Express | 17 December 2020 | 759 times
By CHARLES IWUOHA
The Enugu State Government has urged residents to continue to observe all COVID-19 protocols as it records a huge success in the treatment of the pandemic.
The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Ikechukwu Obi, gave the advice during a press briefing on Wednesday in Enugu.
Obi explained that COVID-19 protocol was still very important for everyone to observe, adding that festive season was near.
“COVID-19 has not gone away, protocols are still very important for everyone to observe them.
“Everyone should be responsible by observing all protocols and as well take responsibility for those who have underlined conditions, because someone’s carelessness can kill people with underlined conditions,” he advised.
The commissioner pointed out that the state government recorded a huge success in the treatment of the pandemic which began in March to date.
He said that the pandemic was not surprising to the state ministry of health as the health professionals were well trained to be ready at every point in time.
Obi added that a Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response document authored and domesticated by the state government in 2013 showed how to respond to pandemic influenza in the world and in Nigeria as well as steps to be taken.
He said that the state ministry of health had been handling other pandemic conditions before the COVID-19 came into Enugu State.
“It was not surprising for the Federal Government to swing into action and set up presidential task force while the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) started to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic before it came to Nigeria.
“We collaborated with the state fire service to decontaminate places like hotels, homes where the COVID-19 cases were dictated,” he said.
Obi noted that more hospitals are being upgraded while construction of a tertiary hospital is ongoing in the state.
He said that 15 COVID-19 cases from the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) camp in Awgu had been reported, adding that there was a massive follow up cases as all health pillars had been working massively in the state.
He explained that sample collection centres are in all the 17 Local Council Areas of the state and continuous surveillance was on going.
“In the course of the COVID-19, we have report from 15 local council areas so far as 9,591 cases have been lined listed while 7,484 samples have been taken.
“Also 5,327 cases confirmed, 1,321 discharged after treatment, 30 active cases, 21 death and 187 health workers down with the pandemic,” he said.
The Director of Public Health of the state ministry of health, Dr Boniface Okolo advised citizens to call the following number in case of any emergency-08182555550, 09022333833.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.